Chapter 13

Clifford's eyes flutter open, and he finds himself in a dimly lit chamber, his body suspended upside down by tightly wound barbed wire that digs into his feet, causing searing pain. The chamber's walls are adorned with grotesque patterns of dried blood, creating an eerie atmosphere that sends chills down his spine. In front of him, a table displays an array of sinister tools, their glinting metal reflecting the dim light.

 In front of him, a table displays an array of sinister tools, their glinting metal reflecting the dim light

As Clifford's gaze shifts, he locks eyes with the floating demon before him. Its body is covered in a multitude of eyes, each one fixated on him with an unsettling intensity. The demon's face contorts into a wide, menacing smile, revealing rows of sharp, jagged teeth that glisten in the dim light, adding to the sense of dread that permeates the chamber.

"You demons, your kind should have vanished a thousand years ago. What are you?" Clifford's voice quivers with a mix of fear and defiance, his words echoing in the chamber.

The humanoid demon gazes at him, its eyes shifting and flickering with an otherworldly glow. It begins to speak, its voice resonating through the chamber, the words carrying an air of ancient power and malevolence.

"Teew," the demon utters, its voice a chilling whisper that seems to reverberate within Clifford's very soul.

Clifford strains to understand if it's a spell, a chant, or a language unknown to him. The unfamiliarity of the words heightens his anxiety, leaving him feeling even more vulnerable in the face of this supernatural entity.

The demon speaks again, its voice echoing with a hint of amusement. "Apologies for my manners, mere insect. You lack the capacity to comprehend the realm of angels."

"Angel? You filthy beast! How dare you, demon, call yourself an angel?" Clifford's anger flares, his voice laced with righteous fury. As a devout follower of the goddess, he channels his holy magic, a radiant glow surrounding him as a testament to his unwavering faith.

The demon's eyes narrow, its gaze unyielding. It stares at Clifford, its expression devoid of emotion, as if silently affirming the truth of its claim.

"I see... But first, someone is monitoring your life essence. Shall we sever that connection?" Raaz's voice cuts through the chamber, his words dripping with sadistic delight. The giant eye embedded in his belly glows ominously, casting eerie shadows that dance across the walls, intensifying Clifford's pain.

"Arghhh!" Clifford's scream reverberates through the chamber, his voice a raw manifestation of the excruciating agony that courses through his body.

"There, there. All done. Now, shall we begin? I need some information, you see," Raaz taunts, his voice a chilling whisper that seems to slither through the air.

"I will not betray my kind, my country, to you demons, even if it means my demise!" Clifford's declaration is punctuated by his desperate act of biting off his tongue, a final act of defiance to ensure his silence.

Raaz's cruel smile widens, his eyes gleaming with sadistic pleasure. "You've misunderstood something," he sneers. "You don't need to tell me anything. Consuming your brain will suffice."

At those words, Clifford's eyes well up with tears, and fear finally consumes him. Raaz holds a rusty scalpel, its jagged blade glinting ominously in the dim light. He slowly approaches Clifford, his grotesque grin widening, his tongue flicking out in anticipation of the macabre feast that awaits him.

Meanwhile, in the mystical realm of Eldermere, the wise wizard Magnus meticulously observes the table adorned with 26 flickering candles. Each candle represents the life of an adventurer he had once contracted. Now, all the candles have been extinguished, their once vibrant flames reduced to mere wisps of smoke, signifying the tragic demise of the party he had entrusted with a perilous quest.

Weeks after the disappearance of the three A-rank and one S-rank adventurers, rumors circulate throughout the kingdom like a haunting melody. Whispers of leaked information about their ill-fated mission from the court wizard before accepting it add fuel to the growing fire of speculation and fear. The kingdom teeters on the precipice of chaos, haunted by the shadow of an unseen threat.