Chapter 11

As Clifford surveyed the dense, mystical forest, a sense of frustration hung in the air. "Stay close; it seems we've been walking in circles for hours, Levin. Are you sure we haven't passed this way before?" Clifford questioned with a stern gaze.

"Yeah, I placed a marking on that giant mushroom, and it's the fourth time I've seen the same marking," replied Levin, visibly frustrated.

"This is bad," Clifford remarked, scanning the darkening surroundings. "It's getting dark; it's best if we set up camp here. Luckily, there don't seem to be any monsters nearby."

"Are you sure?" Lizy questioned, her voice tinged with terror.

"If there were goblins or any other creatures, they would have attacked by now or set a trap. No monster is that intelligent to wait around," reassured Clifford.

"Mages, set a tier 1 barrier to save your mana. Three of you guard at a time," Clifford instructed, taking charge of the situation.

As the party settled down in a protective circle around the campfire, seemingly unfazed by the imminent danger due to their inability to sense hostility around, they decided to share stories.

"Why not talk about why we became adventurers?" suggested Aaron.

"Seriously, Aaron? For money, of course! Hahaha!" Tuken chuckled.

"Not everyone is as greedy as you, Tuken," Jhon remarked, prompting laughter from the group.

Clifford, looking for a way to pass the time and foster camaraderie, leaned in and joined the conversation. "I became an adventurer to find the legendary spear left by the monarch. Some say it's on top of an unknown mountain, but who knows, maybe it's a tower. That's why I took this job," he shared, revealing a glimpse of his personal quest. He turned his attention to Takun. "And what about you, Takun?" he asked, his gaze fixed on the aspiring swordsman. "Why did you choose the path of an adventurer?"

"I want to be the strongest swordsman and to become a noble," declared Takun, his voice carrying a determination that seemed to transcend the present moment.

He continued, a flicker of vulnerability crossing his features, "When I was young, I couldn't afford food and medicine. I grew up as a beggar, fighting for survival in the harsh streets." The campfire's warmth contrasted with the cold memories he was sharing. "Becoming a swordsman is not just about strength for me; it's a path to rise above my past, to provide for those who suffer as I did, and to ascend to a station where I can make a difference." The flames illuminated Takun's resolute expression as he bared a part of his soul to his fellow adventurers.

"My dad was an adventurer. He left me while I was in my mother's womb. But I'm not angry; I want to know why my dad chose this over his unborn child," Aaron admitted, his tone revealing a mix of curiosity and understanding.

As the campfire flickered, Aaron continued, "I've come to realize that adventure, for my father, was like embracing freedom. It was a choice that allowed him to explore the vast unknown, unburdened by the chains of a settled life. Now, I walk the same path, not in resentment, but in a quest to comprehend the allure that drew him away. Perhaps, in the journey, I'll discover the essence of the freedom he sought." The night air seemed to hold a certain introspective weight as Aaron shared his perspective with the circle of fellow adventurers.

"What about you, Aaron?" Clifford asked, redirecting the conversation towards the mage girl from Gnaom's party.

Aaron turned his attention to her, the firelight reflecting in his curious eyes. "I can't help but wonder about your story. What led you to become an adventurer?" he inquired gently.

The mage girl, her gaze momentarily fixed on the dancing flames, began to share a piece of her life. "My husband and I were ambushed by goblins. He lost both his legs, and the trauma turned him into someone unrecognizable, like a man driven to madness. I chose this path to ensure I can afford his daily needs, the medicines that keep him stable," she revealed. The crackling of the campfire seemed to echo the weight of her words. "Every spell I learn, every step I take, is in the hope that I can bring back a piece of the man he used to be."