Chapter 12

In the darkness of the night, Clifford lay in a deep slumber, his massive frame nestled amidst the shadows of the forest. Years of battling had honed his senses to a razor's edge, and even in the tranquility of sleep, he remained vigilant, attuned to the slightest hint of danger.

Suddenly, a surge of bloodlust pierced the silence, jolting Clifford from his rest. With eyes that had witnessed countless battlefields, he scanned his surroundings, instantly alert. Yet, what greeted him was an eerie emptiness. The guards who should have been keeping watch were nowhere to be seen.

As he prowled through the camp, his keen senses leading the way, Clifford's gaze fell upon Tuken. The once stalwart companion now trembled in the grip of an unseen terror, muttering incomprehensible words into the night.

Approaching cautiously, Clifford reached out, his hand settling on Tuken's shoulder. In that moment, Tuken turned, and what Clifford beheld shook him to his core. Tuken's eyes, once filled with warmth and camaraderie, now dripped with an oily black substance, swirling with an unfathomable darkness.

A shiver of horror rippled through Clifford's mind as he realized the depths of Tuken's torment. Desperate to free his friend from the grip of this sinister force, Clifford summoned every ounce of his will, casting spells of purification and healing. With a solemn chant, he invoked [Cleanse], hoping to banish the darkness that held Tuken captive. Yet, to his dismay, the darkness only seemed to deepen, defying his efforts.

Clifford's brow furrowed with determination as he cast [Heal], pouring his magic into Tuken's wounded soul. But still, the darkness persisted, its grip unyielding, its hold unbreakable.

As Clifford's sword descended, a whispered plea escaped his lips, barely audible amidst the weight of his sorrow. "Please forgive me for doing this," he murmured, his voice heavy with regret.

In one swift motion, the sword came down, slicing through the air with deadly precision. Tuken's cries were silenced as the blade met its mark, cutting through flesh and bone with a heavy thud.

As Clifford's mighty roar reverberated through the camp, it acted as a powerful alarm, instantly rousing all the adventurers from their slumber. With his heart pounding in his chest, Clifford stood tall, his gaze sweeping over the awakening companions.

"What's happening?" stammered one of the adventurers, his voice trembling with fear.

"I don't know," another replied, his eyes wide with panic. "But something's not right..."

Tuken lay broken before them, a silent reminder of the nightmares that had plagued them all. Clifford felt a chill run down his spine as he surveyed the scene before him.

"We were all dreaming," he said, his own voice wavering with uncertainty, "but it felt so real..."

A sense of dread settled over the group as they exchanged nervous glances. Though they knew not what had disturbed their sleep, the fear that gripped them was all too real.

"We need to get out of here," someone whispered, their voice barely audible above the pounding of their hearts.

With a collective nod of agreement, the adventurers turned to flee, their minds clouded with terror. Though they knew not what dangers lay ahead, they were united in their desperate need to escape the darkness that threatened to consume them.

As Clifford's mighty roar reverberated through the camp, it acted as a powerful alarm, instantly rousing all the adventurers from their slumber. With his heart pounding in his chest, Clifford stood tall, his gaze sweeping over the awakening companions.

But as he looked upon them, a sinking feeling gripped his heart. The adventurers, once courageous and resolute, now stood before him with their morale shattered, their bodies trembling with fear.