13: The Channel of Song

A/N: Sirens work differently in this than they do in the PJO books.

WPOV

I didn't know what to say to Nico to make it better. He'd spoken with little doubt when he told me of his fears for the upcoming weeks. While we'd danced, he had hoped that we would be able to hide among the islands in the middle of the Bay of Silver. Now it was clear that he had only said that to calm my nerves. I was never making it back home.

The weather was bad, too, for the first time since I'd first been brought aboard. It rained a lot, which made it difficult to tell exactly how far away the other boat was. Every once in a while, though, it would peak through the curtain of rain. We didn't need the eyeglass to see it anymore.

Nico didn't let us stop for supplies in the Bay of Silver. When he called us in to plan out our next moves, there were deep bags under his eyes and a tension in his shoulders that hadn't been there when I arrived. He kept his hands folded in front of his closed eyes, like he was praying.

"If we turn back in this bay, they're going to catch up," he began. We were silent. He continued, "We're going to need to make our supplies stretch. Halve our portions. Share. Because I might have an idea to get us away from Gabe, but we're going to go a long time without stops. Is it worth it, to you all?"

Percy tilted Nico's chin up so he would look at us. "We're in a desperate situation, Nico, that's not your fault. We understand that. What's your idea?"

He leaned back in his chair. "There's a small inlet of water that then connects to a channel, which would connect to the ocean again."

"You're not saying—"

"I'm saying we could probably survive Gabe if we go through the Channel of Song, yes."

Annabeth took a step back. "The Channel of Song? Are you serious? We'd be killed!"

"What's in the Channel of Song?" I asked.

Piper narrowed her eyes at the captain. "A Channel that leads into the Southern Hemisphere—which is dealing with tropical storms right now—through Siren territory. I don't think there have been any survivors before, except..."

"Except?" Nico encouraged, intrigued.

"Well, except this one ship led by a family boat. Apparently two men were good friends, (A/N: Just pals. Just pals who sail the seas together on a boat where they share a bedroom and adopt kids together and do pal-things. What good friends.) and they adopted some children together. Neither ever married, because they said they were only loyal to the boat or whatever. Anyway, they made it out of it without any fatalities."

Nico raised his eyebrows. "Hm. I vote we risk it. I'll stay above deck. The rest of you will be detained."

"Nico, we don't know how those two men resisted the siren's singing. How do you know you'd be unfazed?" Piper blinked. "Wait. Oh. Ohhhhh. I see."

Nico gave her a weak smile. "The rest of you stay below deck. I might have to secure you all somehow. That's only once we get close enough, of course." He stood up. "Is everybody okay with this plan?"

We mumbled our affirmations, but Piper seemed to be the only confident one. We filed out of his office with scrunched brows. Sometimes I thought that Nico thought he was invincible. Refusing treatment for his stab wound. Sailing straight into siren territory as if he won't be attracted to the sirens like every other person on this planet.

Wait.

Oh.

Ohhhhh.

There's no way those two men were just friends. Nico thinks they were romantically involved, and possibly not attracted to women at all. But then...did that mean that Nico experienced attraction in the same way I did? I'd never met someone like me before. Whispers of perverted men like me, or bawdy jokes about it at bars, but I'd never met someone like me. And I had definitely never heard of using it to your advantage, like through siren territory.