22: To Live Again

WPOV

Hades and Persephone di Angelo were not difficult to convince. Hades's eyes teared up as I told him of my plan, and Persephone seemed happy enough to get to live on a tropical island for the rest of her life, relatively unbothered by the rest of civilization. Both tried not to cry as I led them to our next stop: my house.

I knocked, and my mother answered. She looked horrible. Her eyes had heavy bags under them, and she looked like she had barely eaten. Her hand flew to her mouth when she saw me, and a sob wracked her body. The next thing I knew, I was being pulled into her arms, and my father wandered into the hallway to see what the commotion was about.

His eyes widened, and he was there in an instant to embrace me. After everything with Gabriel and the threat of not being able to return, it felt as if a hundred-pound weight was removed from my shoulders. I sobbed into my mother's shoulder, and she in mine. But I didn't have time for a proper reunion.

"Mother, Father, I have something to tell you. I realize you cannot follow everywhere I go, but you deserve to know where I will be living in the future," I began. "You see, the pirates among the Argo II had a bit of a misunderstanding, and I was accidentally brought upon their ship in the time that I have been gone. In that time, I've learned that the only people left on that ship are the kids who were kidnapped years ago, grown up now."

"Why don't they return?" my father asked. "Did you meet Nico while you were there? Your old friend, do you remember? Is he alright?"

"Yes, he's fine, but they'll be arrested if they try to settle down anywhere that recognizes them as the Argo II crew, and the whole world would likely be able to figure it out at this point. I'm afraid they can't return home. And, I would like to help them find a place to safely be able to leave their ship and live as people rather than pirates. I've brought you a map that would help you be able to visit me, if you would like."

My mother nodded enthusiastically. "They can stay here! They might have to share bedrooms, but—"

"There are too many of them," I said. "I considered it, but there are too many of them. Besides, they would have to stay inside for the rest of their lives to avoid being caught. My idea is to build small houses on an island we found. There are no people there—it's small enough that there aren't even very many large animals there. I think this is my chance to help people, mother, and I think it's their chance to live again."

Word count: 474