18: Will Is A Useless Bi (In The Best Possible Way)

WPOV

Without the ship behind us threatening to kill us all, sailing was actually relaxing. I tended to Nico and all the others. It struck me just how much they needed me. No wonder I'd been kidnapped. They would've all been dead by now had I not been.

Which got me thinking. You know, I studied to be a doctor so that I could help people. That was my dream. To be able to help people every day. Weren't these people the ones that needed that help more than anyone else?

Nico and I hadn't talked about when we kissed. The memory still spooked me. He'd been despondent and the look in his eyes was like he had a sword at his throat. He was crazed. Like he had been on the edge of death all his life, and he'd just been pushed.

I wasn't sure if he'd kissed me because he was attracted to me, or if he just wanted to be able to kiss someone before he died. I wanted to ask him, but I was afraid of the answer.

I wanted it to be that he was attracted to me. Because if I was being honest with myself, I'd been wanting to kiss him for most of the time that I'd been on this boat. I hoped to God that he felt the same about me, but there was a tugging at my heart that said he'd only done it because he was about to die.

Now, he barely looked at me.

Still, he was doing much better ever since Gabe was pushed away in that boat. He'd begun talking to me about Bianca. He told me what I'd already guessed—that Bianca had been killed the same way Nico had almost been. Gabe stabbed her in the leg, then the stomach, and shoved her off the edge of the boat when she got too close. Apparently she had unsuccessfully tried to escape, and Gabe had caught her.

Bianca hadn't brought Nico along with her escape. It meant that Nico got to survive, but it meant that she had been willing to leave him in Gabe's clutches.

We finally scheduled an actual dance night. It was about a week before we would arrive at Honnet.

Nico stepped out of his cabin in his most expensive attire. His coat wasn't well-worn. He wore a hat now, and he had stuck a feather in it. His boots were still stained with blood.

Honestly, he was breathtaking. I'll let you all know if I ever figure out if he's real or not—after all, I hadn't really believed in angels before him. 

Word count: 442