6.5 🌶️

There's a certain peace to being outdoors

There's a certain peace to being outdoors. The sky, a perfect cerulean dome, stretches overhead. After all the rain this morning, I thought it was going to be a muggy, humid afternoon, but it isn't. It is a great day to enjoy lunch outside. It's the kind of afternoon you want to savor, a respite from the daily grind.

But my mind is already somewhere else, replaying the moment I walked into the living room to find Elora wielding a hammer, her brow furrowed in concentration. It was a sight that had stirred something in me, a desire to see her sweaty and exerted for another reason entirely.

I can't deny it. She's a distraction I can't afford. I've got too much on my plate right now. There's my work, of course, but more importantly, there's Buck.

My brother is struggling. Again. The demons that haunt him are relentless, a battle he can never truly win. I've watched his life go downhill for almost a year now, but these past few months have been the hardest. I don't blame his wife for leaving him. Hell, I applaud her. But it has definitely made him spiral more than he already was.

I sigh, leaning against the fence. The grass at my feet is emerald green, dotted with wildflowers.

I know I can't save Buck. I know there are things out of my control, forces that will always be stronger than me. But that doesn't stop me from trying. It's all I can do—all anyone can do.

And that's why I'm here.

Buck is a few feet away, his eyes fixed on a target. The rifle is steady in his hands, his posture relaxed. I know he's in his element, the familiar weight of the weapon a comfort.

I watch him, pride mingling with concern. He's my brother, and I love him, but the past few weeks have been hard. He's spiraling, his drinking getting worse.

But today, standing here, seeing him like this, I can almost believe everything will be okay.

I clear my throat, breaking the silence. "You sure you don't need some help, brother?" I ask, a teasing lilt to my voice.

He chuckles, shaking his head. "I'm good, thanks. Just trying to get in a little target practice."

I nod, shifting my weight against the fence. The breeze is cool, and the sun is warm, a perfect balance. I inhale, savoring the fresh air.

"How's business?" he asks, his voice casual.

"It's good," I reply, my gaze fixed on him. "I've got a lot of jobs lined up, so things are looking up."

"That's great, man. I'm proud of you," he says, his words sincere.

We fall into a comfortable silence, the only sounds the occasional call of birds and the boom of Buck's gun.

"And how are you, Buck? Really?" I ask, my voice quiet.

He pauses, lowering the rifle. His expression is a mix of emotions, too complicated to read.