8. 🌶️

The sun beats down on my neck, a relentless reminder of the South's unforgiving summer

The sun beats down on my neck, a relentless reminder of the South's unforgiving summer. I wipe a bead of sweat from my brow, squinting at the stubborn beam in front of me. Today's challenge: a load-bearing wall in the living room. It's more of a problem than I anticipated. The wood is rotten, far worse than I thought, and it's throwing a wrench in my well-laid plans.

"Of course, this is happening," I mutter to myself, frustration simmering. "Just when I thought I was getting ahead." I take a step back, surveying the damage. It's a significant setback. The wall is crucial to the house's structure, and its deterioration is not just a simple fix. I can feel the weight of the project pressing down on me, a tangible pressure that makes me want to throw in the towel for the day.

As I think of my options, the sound of footsteps crunching on gravel pulls me from my thoughts. I turn to see Killian approaching, his brow furrowed in concern as he surveys the scene. I brace myself for a smart remark, but it doesn't come. Instead, there's a surprising seriousness in his gaze.

"Looks like you've got quite the mess here," he says, his tone lacking its usual edge.

I nod, the tension in my shoulders betraying my weariness. "It's worse than I thought. The entire wall's compromised."

Killian steps closer, his eyes scanning the structure. "Mind if I take a closer look?"

I hesitate, my pride wrestling with the reality of needing help. But the stubborn part of me quickly loses out. "Sure, go ahead."

He moves with a confidence that's both irritating and admirable, examining the wood with an expert eye. "You're right, it's pretty bad. But it's not unfixable."

I watch him, his hands deftly probing the damaged area, his brow creased in concentration. It's a side of Killian I haven't seen before — focused, serious, and undeniably skilled. He's more than just a flirtatious cowboy; he's a man who knows his craft.

"Here's what you're gonna need to do," he begins, outlining a plan. His explanation is thorough, peppered with technical terms and practical advice. I find myself listening intently, my initial skepticism slowly giving way to appreciation.

As he talks, I can't help but notice the way his hands move with purpose, the way his eyes light up when he discusses solutions. It's like watching an artist with his canvas, and I feel a grudging respect for him.

"Think you can handle it?" he asks, his familiar cocky grin returning.

I let out a reluctant chuckle. "With your expert guidance? I might just have a fighting chance."

For the rest of the afternoon, we work together on the wall. Killian's presence, which I initially thought would be a distraction, proves to be the opposite. He's surprisingly good at this — better than I expected. His occasional jokes lighten the mood, and his insights are genuinely helpful.