11.

The night air is cool against my skin as I pull into the gravel lot of Whiskey Creek

The night air is cool against my skin as I pull into the gravel lot of Whiskey Creek. The rustic bar promises an escape from the whirlwind of emotions swirling inside me. After the work from today, I need a place to unwind. Somewhere to be just Elora, not the house flipper or the woman caught up in an unexpected... whatever this is with Killian. His unexpected gesture from yesterday is still fresh in my mind.

Pushing open the heavy wooden door, the familiar sounds of country music and laughter greet me. The bar is lively tonight, the air thick with the scent of beer and fried food.

I immediately spot Killian. I make eye contact with him and give him a small smile, but he doesn't return it or acknowledge it.

Okay, then.

I make my way to the bar, ordering a drink before finding a secluded booth in the corner. It's my spot, a place where I can observe without being the center of attention.

As I take a sip of my drink, my gaze inadvertently finds Killian again. He's at the other end of the bar, surrounded by a group of women who are clearly vying for his attention. He's laughing, his charm on full display, and it stings more than I care to admit. I turn my attention away, trying to shake off the sudden surge of jealousy.

Before I can dwell on it, a voice interrupts my thoughts. "Is this seat taken?" asks a man with a warm smile. He's attractive, with dark hair and an easy confidence about him.

I look up, caught off guard. "Uh, no, go ahead," I manage, offering a polite smile.

He introduces himself as Jake, and we fall into an easy conversation. He's lived in Willow Creek his whole life, a regular at this bar. It's a welcome distraction, but I can't help stealing glances at Killian.

Now when I look over, I catch him watching us, his expression darkening. There's a fire in his eyes, a barely contained rage that seems so at odds with the easygoing persona he usually presents. It's unsettling and, if I'm honest, a bit thrilling to know I can elicit such a reaction from him.

Despite my better judgment, I find myself enjoying the game, the push and pull of attention. Jake's flirtations are harmless, but they serve their purpose. Killian's barely concealed jealousy is making it all worth it.

As the night wears on, the tension in the air is palpable. Jake's hand brushes mine, a seemingly innocent gesture, but I'm acutely aware of Killian's gaze burning into us from across the room. The atmosphere is charged with unspoken emotions and unsaid words.

I excuse myself to go to the bathroom. Exiting the booth, I navigate through the dwindling crowd, my mind a maze of conflicting emotions. The night at Whiskey Creek is turning out to be more intense than I anticipated. I came here to relax, and I'm doing the opposite. I need a moment just to breathe.

Making my way toward the restroom, I'm suddenly face-to-face with Killian himself. His presence is like a jolt, setting my nerves on edge. He stands there, a mix of nonchalance and intensity in his posture.