Chapter 1: Prologue

Prologue

John 1 :1 In the beginning was the Word,
___________

"MAMA! mama! For you!" Ran a little dark-haired boy to his mother showing her the colorful bouquet of flower he had made. She took it into her hands and had a sniff smiling at the beautiful mix of scents. "Thank you, Nathan. They are beautiful, like you"

He smiled pleased and then coughed a little. His mother ruffled his hair lovingly, bringing out her handkerchief, wiping the corner of his lips.

"The doctor said you should stay in bed, now you are coughing" She scolded lightly stroking his cheeks. He pouted.

"But I do not want to stay in my bed all day, I want to play with Nicholas!" He said and she smiled seeing Nicholas approaching slowly, trying to playfully creep on his brother, which failed miserably since Nathan turned around before he could surprise him and he turned out to be the one surprised, jumping back. Their mother laughed at their antics.

"Please mama let me play with Nicholas. Just for a small while, we can play in front of you, you can watch over us, I promise I will not faint and I will stop when I will be tired" He said and a Nicholas joined him.

"Please mama" She smiled at them both.

"Fine, quarter an hour and everyone goes back inside" She said and they laughed, immediately beginning to play. Their giggles echoed in the count's gardens as they played a game of tag, Nicholas letting his brother win each time.

They ended up playing for over an hour and their mother, seeing Nathan beginning to struggle, despite Nicholas efforts not to tire him out, decided it was time to go back. Their mother's skirt swished as she walked them back, each holding unto one of her hands. Nathan kept bragging about how fast he was, but they all knew that Nicholas let him win each time.

Nicholas was sturdier than him. Actually, he was stronger than most children his age yet a heart as soft as butter.

As they entered the manor, they came face to face with the count. Her heart immediately skipped a beat as she instinctively hid Nathan behind her.

"Welcome Count Millanaire" She curtsied and the count just stared at the children behind her, before making his way to his room. The count was way older than his mother but she loved him. At least that was what she told Nicholas.

They cleaned up and were called to share a meal with the Count. Arriving the dining room, they occupied their respective seats and the room was quiet except for the sound of cutleries.

The count made sure to make his dining room as lavish as possible. His cutleries were pure silver and the wood that made his furniture was the finest mahogany. A luster shone brightly above their heads, made of crystal and the decorations of gold. The opulence in which they swam, some marquis could not afford it.

"How was your journey my husband?" She asked and he glanced at her for a brief moment before ignoring her royally. She thought it wise to stay quiet as he was not probably in the best of moods.

"Papa, today, I did not faint! I could even play with Nicholas." Nathan said and the count did not even bother looking up at him. Yearning for his father's affection, he kept narrating the events that marked him that day. "We played a game of tags..."

"Should I be proud of you being a complete failure?" The count said still not looking at Nathan still but his words had the impact he wanted. The room was silent.

It was not the first time he told Nathan he was a failure—he had told him even harsher words before. Nicholas watched his father with anger but was more scared of him, so he stayed silent, praying to God in his heart that he will ease Nathan's pain.