6 ~ banquet

"So," says one of the fae at the table as we all begin to eat. He has green and blue scales, and no hair atop his head, with big, round yellow eyes. He looks at me, then back to the High King. "How is the trade of silk going these days? Is the Svilkha House going to get the Charter for silk?"

"You know I cannot tell you that," says the King. "Regardless of your stature here, Airgon, you know that there are certain things even I cannot discuss. Even here, at these dinners."

Airgon sighs and nods, stabbing the food on his plate, as though that is the cause of the King's rejection.

The food that is spread across the table is so amazing. There's roasted chicken, fried ham, steamed broccoli, noodles with cheese, bread rolls and biscuits, and the different flavors of wine. I don't know anything about fae wine, but the flavor I am drinking is something I'd gladly drink fot the rest of my life. However long that may be now.

Jade spears her fork against the chicken on her plate, and when she looks my way, a smile forms on her face.  "You seem to be enjoying the food."

"The human food I'd grown up eating doesn't compare to this," I say.

She chuckles.  "I'd bet."

Suddenly, the silence that fills the otherwise chatty room is so noticeable, I sit up and look around. King Eldred is staring at me.  He strokes his beard, his gaze thoughtful.

"My son said he made a new friend today."

"Oh, he did?" asks the Queen. She is clearly feigning interest here, but Eldred doesn't seem to notice or care.

"Indeed. Her name is Kesh, and she was raised as a human, and she now sits at our table," he says.

This gets the Queen's (and everyone else's)  attention.

"Oh, what a pretty girl, Thorn!"

I feel a blush rise to my cheeks. Thorn clears his throat, wipes his mouth. He says, "I would like you all to meet Kesh, my newest friend."

"Ah, a stray." Airgon giggles, his big eyes on me as if I'm some kind of dessert.

"What did you have in mind for her to do while she's here, Thorn?" asks the Queen, her tone casual but her expression is otherwise frustrated.

"Well, I'd hoped that she could join us, in a ... more private manner than most," says Thorn.

"Any ideas as to what that private matter would entail?" Airgon snorts. "Or do you have no clue?"

"Airgon," says the King, glaring at him.  "Any fae that's a friend of Thorn's is a friend to the Crown. If you've got a problem with that, I am sure Callum, Captain of the Royal Guard, would love to assist you."

"N - no, my Leige. I apologize."

"Good," the King growls.

Talk picks back up after a few moments, and I resume eating my meal. I don't pay much mind to the other nobles, who are loudly speaking of things they likely shouldn't be. Most of them are harmless, but some aren't so.

Sometime later, the servants bring desserts.

And then, around midnight, people begin to leave one by one, slowly. I still sit between Yue and Jade, and Thorn remains in his seat. His parents do, too.

Finally, Airgon leaves, and so, it is just us who remain seated at the massive table. I keep my gaze down, but then, the King speaks, and he's speaking to me.

"So, Kesh, how did you enjoy your first night here?"

"It's a bit .... overwhelming, but I love it."

He nods, as if I've said something profound. "I agree. The Courts and the lower noble Houses are a bit .... overwhelming and overstimulating, but you do get used to it after a while. After all, we fae do not have a mortal time clock like the humans."

"Fae cannot die of old age, like most humans do," Jade whispers, leaning over to whisper in my ear.  "The King is actually five hundred and fifty years old."

My eyes widen, and I glance at him. The King is speaking to his son and wife. He looks up, and clinks his spoon against his glass.  "Alright, my friends. It is time for us to leave. Good night."

He and the Queen rise, and vanish after linking hands. I see Thorn is still sitting there, though.

He hums, before lifting his gaze to me. "Do you know what Jade and Yue do for me?"

I shrug. "No?"

He smirks.  "They are my spies, my little shadows."

Jade winks at me.  "We found you for him, right before that night on the bridge."

"Wait, you were there? On the bridge?"

"Yes," Yue replies, giggling.

"Mortal eyes cannot see us, but you are not mortal, so we had to.... improvise. So, we instead used the elements to help us hide from you. That's what the fog was."

Jade grins.  "We want you to join us, as a new spy."

"I ... I don't know how to be a spy, though. I don't know much about faerie life," I say.

Yue and Jade exchange looks, both grinning. "We can help."