7 ~ shady deals and betrayals

For the next few years, I am trained to do everything as though I was always here in the fae lands. I learn to fly like them, talk like them, and fight like them.

I get used to behaving like a fae, like I am above most things and people. I hate that part of doing the thing I call the fae dance.

But as I slip into the shadows of the current place where I am to spy from, I see the leader of one of the High Houses, a male fae named Merrick Faldyroi, stand and talk to a male fae he claims to hate. We are at the docks, on the northern end of town, close to the palace I've basically grown up at.

The fae in question is Airgon, that annoying green-scaled fae I met all those years ago. The two of them talk excitedly about the exports they have before the pair of them. And, by the scent of it, I'd guess it's some kind of fae wine.

I focus, and I can sorta hear what they're saying.

".... think the humans will pay top coin for this?" Airgon asks in his strange accent.

Merrick tilts his head. "Of course they will, after all, it is fae wine."

Airgon smirks and laughs, then says, "I suppose this concludes our business, then."

Merrick nods.  "Indeed. Well, I will see you later, then, Airgon."

Merrick vanishes, and Airgon turns his back to where I am, pulling the crates full of wine onto a nearby ship. He sets them down carefully, and then turns back, getting ready to set sail. I narrow my eyes.  What am I to do? We didn't know that Airgon was selling this stuff to mortals. After all, they are not known to be doing many deals with fae like Airgon. He cannot disguise himself as a mortal like them.

I glance over my shoulder, and see Jade and Yue, and Jade signs to me, "You should follow him, we will tell Prince Thorn."

"Alright, but stay safe, you two," I sign back.

Yue nods once.  "You too." They both vanish, and I turn and unfurl my wings.

Waiting until Airgon's ship is almost on the horizon is a painstakingly long process. But I wait, and then I fly after the ship. The clouds in the sky begin to blow in faster, and the wind picks up. I see the clouds thickening and know rain is certain to start to fall.

I remain as high in the sky as I can, waiting for Airgon to make land. I remain high enough in the sky that I am nothing but a big bird to him. So, as I follow the ship, which is really a small one, more like a boat.

We travel for a long time, before finally approaching the barrier between the realms. So, as the ship makes land, I too land, but in the trees. I'm damn near exhausted. It is late in the day, and I feel like my wings are going to be numb soon. How will I get back when my wings are so sore?

Airgon sets the crates of wine down, and I watch as a group of humans walk up to the fae, who's alone on the beach. The humans all seem skittish, and no doubt why, as the group is moving from deep in the woods. And they're talking to a fae, and who knows what we are planning.

But alas, despite their fear, despite the instincts that they all must be feeling, they don't back down. They don't leave. So. I watch on in silence. I focus, narrowing my eyes a little as I watch the mortals and Airgon.

"So, this is it. The faeberry wine you requested," says Airgon in a proud voice.

"Ah," says the man who must be the leader of the mortal group. "How interesting..." He stares at the crate before him and nods to his companions.

One human steps up, and sets down a large, wooden box. The box has a strange vibe to it, weird energy is seeping from the thing. I clutch the tree tighter, my heart in my throat. What the fuck is happening now?

"Good, good," says Airgon. He looks at the humans. "So, I assume you have what you want, and I've got what I want. So that concludes our business."

"Yes, I suppose it does ...." murmurs the leader.

Suddenly, one of the humans, a woman who looks eerily familiar, draws her crossbow, aims, and shoots Airgon in the chest. The iron bolt sinks into the center of his chest, and he collapses onto the sand. I press my hand over my mouth, watching on in horror as his yellow blood pours from the nasty wound.

"No..." I whisper.

"You didn't really think you were going to get away, did you, little fae fucker?" sneers the leader.

I watch on in horror as they toss a net around Airgon, then drag him, the box, and the crates of wine into the forest.