Chapter 2

Sam and Colby were nearly finished clearing out Colby's dressing room. Colby had been quiet the last couple of days. He had made the brave decision to give up music and every time Sam brought up a way for him to get back into it, he would brush it off and say he was fine, but Sam could tell that it was eating him up inside everyday since the news. They had everything packed away in boxes and were stacking them up, when Selena knocked on their door.

" Hey, Colby, you got a sec?" asked Selena.

" Uh yea, sure," said Colby.

Selena stepped aside to let someone into Colby's dressing room and then stepped away.

" Hello, Mr. Brock," said the man. " My name is Kevin Langue. I'm a senior director for Broadway."

" It's nice to meet you," said Colby, shaking his hand.

" Why don't we have a seat," said Kevin, as he sat down on one of the chairs in Colby's dressing room. Sam and Colby both sat on the couch across from him.

" So, like I said, I'm a director for Broadway," said Kevin. " We have a new musical coming out that tells the story of Bon Jovi. It's called Livin' On A Prayer." Kevin excitedly made a rainbow with his hands as he announced the title of the show.

" Anyway," said Kevin. " If you're interested, we'd love to offer you the lead role in our show."

Colby's eyes went wide in surprise. " You want me to play Jon Bon Jovi?" asked Colby.

" Well, the younger version of him," said Kevin. " We're huge fans of your work and you have exactly the vocal range that we're looking for. So, what do you say?"

" Well, I don't know," said Colby. " You may have heard about what's happening with my voice."

" I did," said Kevin. " I personally think the raspiness could add to your performance, and besides, someone took a chance on my vision so I'm willing to take a chance on you."

Colby thought for a moment. He looked at Sam and then back at Kevin. " Could I have some time to think about it?" asked Colby.

" Yes, of course," said Kevin. He then reached into his jacket. " Here's my card, just give me a call by Friday."

" Thank you," said Colby, taking the card.

Kevin then stepped out of the room and Sam turned to Colby. Colby saw the excited look on Sam's face.

" What?" asked Colby.

" Jon Bon Jovi," said Sam. " What an honor."

" Yea, you're telling me," said Colby.

" Are you gonna do it?" asked Sam.

" I don't know," said Colby.

" What do you mean you don't know?" asked Sam. " This is an amazing opportunity."

" You heard what the doctor said," explained Colby. " I don't have much time."

"Colby, this is an opportunity for you to leave behind something great," explained Sam. " You miss it Colby, and this gives you one last chance to use your voice again and show the world that Colby Brock isn't gone. Not yet."

Colby smiled happily at Sam. " You really think I should do this?" asked Colby.

" I really do," said Sam. " It's now or never, right?"

Colby happily laughed. " Okay then," he said.

Colby didn't know where the time had gone, but here he was, standing backstage for the opening night of the show. Colby was used to singing in front of crowds but he'd be lying if he said this wasn't the most nervous he's ever been in his life.