Chapter 3

The comments and the headlines just kept coming. Colby did his best to not look at them because he knew he would be affected, but he couldn't help it. He was the talk of the town, even if it wasn't all good. He was even on a billboard in Times Square.

" Colby Brock is sensational!" was the review written on the billboard from New York Theater Guide.

Another review had given the show 4 stars out of 5, and Colby was feeling better than ever. He was hoping by the end of this, he would be flawless. He so desperately wanted to win these people over and he was more determined than ever to do so.

Song 5: Colby

This is another performance from the show. Feeling more determined than ever, Colby passionately sings this song, letting the world know, he's about to turn this town upside down and you can be damn sure, he will give the best performance of his life, for as long as he can. He would win them over.

Colby struts around the stage. This time, it is just him, but he's okay with that. He wants to show everyone that he can do this and that he is determined to make them proud, even if they are against him. However, Colby feels the raspiness coming again. He knows he's straining his voice more than he should be, but he wants to give this show his all.

Sam was waiting for Colby backstage after the show. Colby immediately saw him and tried to go to him, but Kevin pulled him aside.

" Colby," said Kevin. " Great job out there, I've got some people I want to meet."

" I was just gonna-," started Colby.

" It'll be quick, I promise," said Kevin.

Sam followed close behind as Kevin led Colby to a massive group of people. Most of them were interviewers but there were also several fans. Sam watched as Colby signed several autographs and took several photos with the fans. Colby seemed to be more famous now then he had ever been. He saw a bunch of girls posing with Colby for a picture and a few guys as well. He saw the way that some of them looked at him, but Sam tried to brush it off. He did look good after all. One of the male fans posed for a selfie with Colby and kissed him on the cheek. Colby blushed at the awkwardness and Sam stepped away. Colby saw him walk away and knew that Sam must've seen what went down. He quickly went to follow Sam. He swiftly grabbed Sam's hand.

" Where do you think you're going gorgeous?" asked Colby.

" I didn't want to interrupt you," said Sam. " You looked like you were having a good time."

" Hey, I didn't know he would kiss me and you know it meant nothing to me," said Colby.

" I know," said Sam.

" You're the only fan I want to kiss, anyway," said Colby.

" You're so romantic," said Sam.

" I'm serious," said Colby. " In fact, I'm gonna kiss you right now."

" I'd like that," said Sam.

Colby happily kissed Sam, making out with him backstage. Most of the cast and crew had cleared out for the night, but Colby had stayed behind to practice a bit more. They were doing a performance at the Tony Awards tomorrow and Colby wanted to be perfect. Colby was on stage practicing some dance moves. One of the stage lights was still on and it lit up the stage. Sam watched him from the wings and he noticed Sam staring and smiling.

" You really are amazing up here," said Sam.

" You really think so?" asked Colby.

" I've seen every performance," said Sam. " I know so."

" I never did thank you for convincing me to do this," said Colby.

" You're welcome," said Sam. " How is your voice doing?"

" Not bad," said Colby. " The raspiness has gotten worse, but Kevin was right, it helps with the performance."

" You're sure you're okay?" asked Sam.

" Better than okay," said Colby. He then brushed a piece of hair out of Sam's face. " How did I get so lucky?"

" God works in mysterious ways I guess," said Sam.

Colby happily smiled. " Yea, I guess he does," said Colby.

Song 6: Colby. Colby sings this song from the show for Sam. It's part of the show but this time he's not performing for an audience, just for Sam.

Colby spins Sam around the stage. Using this moment as an opportunity to practice but also to express his love for Sam. He doesn't sing this song for anyone in the show, nor does he dance with anyone, but he pictures Sam every time he sings it. Colby leads Sam around the stage, just like he would if he was performing. Sam cradles Colby's face as he sings to him, smiling happily.

The first half of the song is just Colby singing to Sam, but halfway through we cut to Colby performing it in the show for an audience.

Sam sits in the audience, nodding his head to the beat of the song. Colby knows he's not supposed to look at audience members while he's performing, but he can't help but glance at Sam sitting in the front row as he performs this song.

Colby quickly ran off stage as the lights went down. He finished the show as normal and when they finished the curtain call, he saw Kevin and another woman both waiting for him.

" Colby," said Kevin. " This is Anastasia, she works for The New York Times."

" You can call me Stas," she said.

" She wanted to know if you could do a quick interview?" asked Kevin.

" Yea, sure thing," said Colby. He then followed Stas to a quieter area.

She sat down at a small table and Colby sat across from her. " How are you doing, Colby?" she asked.

" I'm doing a lot better," said Colby.

" I can tell," said Stas. " You've got quite a show here."

" Thank you," said Colby.

" So, my first question is how do you embody your character?" she asked.

" Well, I just kind've relate his songs to my own feelings and experiences," said Colby. " I think the best way to fully understand a character is to study them and understand what they're going through."

" Very interesting," said Stas. " Thank you."

Colby had spent a couple more minutes answering questions for Stas and then she was on her way.

Sam and Colby went back to their AirBnB and Colby was exhausted. Colby had the biggest smile on his face when he returned. Colby had found his groove and he was thankful he would finally be able to win these people over. Colby smiled as Sam joined him in the bed and snuggled up close to him. He threw the covers over both of them as they happily drifted off to sleep. Colby was finally feeling relaxed, the most relaxed he's felt in days.