Chapter 4

When they arrived at the theater the next morning, everyone was in a frenzy. They all noticed Sam and Colby walk in together and their demeanors suddenly changed. Colby knew something was up and it didn't seem good. He found Kevin backstage, talking to the stage manager. Kevin hadn't seen them walk up behind him until the stage manager pointed to them. Kevin whipped around.

" Everything okay?" asked Colby.

" Yes, everything is fine," said Kevin.

" You haven't seen it?" asked the stage manager. Kevin gestured to her to stop talking.

" See what?" asked Colby.

" Kevin, he deserves to know," said the stage manager.

Kevin looked at her and sighed. He took his phone out of his pocket and pulled up the most recent article from the New York Times. The one written by Stas. Colby was stunned. On top of his interview, the article stated how Livin' On A Prayer was one of the worst shows to hit Broadway in a longtime and was quoted as " A disgrace to the singer we all know and love".

Colby scrolled down to read Stas own comments and critiques of the show.

"Colby Brock may play Bon Jovi, but he will never know him like the world does," Stas stated. "What was slated to be a Broadway masterpiece has quickly turned into nothing but a mediocre tribute act with a slow storyline and horrible production. Livin' On A Prayer may be nominated for several Tony Awards but it will never amount to a show that people will continuously pay to see, especially with their lead actor on the verge of losing his voice at any moment."

Colby looked up from the article.

" Yea, not exactly the best thing to have come out right before the Tony Awards," said Kevin.

Kevin then sat down on one of the chairs backstage. I thought this would be my big break. I wanted so desperately for this show to be great and we blew it."

" I'm sorry," said Colby.

" Colby, don't apologize," said Kevin. " It's not your fault and for what it's worth, I have no regrets casting you."

" Thanks," said Colby.

" I guess this is it for me," said Kevin.

" No, no it isn't," said Colby. " Let me ask you something, do you believe in this show?"

" Yes," said Kevin.

" Well, I do too," said Colby. " I'm not gonna let some critics or stupid articles tell me differently."

" Colby, you heard what she said,'' explained Kevin. " She is one of the top critics in the city, and people value her opinion."

" Well, screw her," said Colby. " We all believe in this show Kevin. We believe in your vision and that's enough. As long as we can remember that, other people will believe in it too."

" You really think so?" asked Kevin.

" I know so," said Colby, " And whether I play this part 1 more time or 100 more times, I won't let you down, no matter what anyone says."

" Thanks Colby," said Kevin.

" So, you wanna finish this or what?" asked Colby.

" You bet," said Kevin.

" Let's go make a legacy," said Colby.

The cast was invited to perform a song from their show at this year's Tony Awards. Livin' On A Prayer was one of the many shows nominated for Best Musical and Colby was also nominated for a Tony.