Waiting for Yu

A hospital room at 11 pm with one dim light to cover the darkness. There was no talking but there had been cutting noises of scissors on paper.

Winter sat by Karina's side, cutting out countless pieces of paper hearts. She had them piled up on a desk, each paper heart had been almost similar to the other.

ever since Karina had been in a coma Winter would visit the dark haired girl everyday. Even if she had work she would visit her straight after her shift was over.
Winter finished cutting out the 26th paper heart, placing them in its pile. She matched them all together and punted a hole in all of them.

She grabbed a thin piece of string but it had been long enough to fit anything on it if it was light enough. She slipped each paper heart into the ends of the string until there was no more paper left.

Winter stood up from her seat, pulling the chair with her and positioned it in a specific place. Once it had been placed, she stepped on it carefully with the string still in her hand, the paper hearts swinging on it lightly. Her balance wasn't stable but she could still be able to control herself.

The string wrapped around a small bar that was on the ceiling, tying it in two small knots. She then stepped off the chair, dragging the chair to the other side to another small bar that was across from the other.

She positioned it perfectly under the small bar on the ceiling again. Stepping on it this time with a more stable balance. Tying the other end of the string in two small knots.

With a small sigh she looked at the knots for a moment, seeming to doze off slightly. With the heart beating sound on the monitor she slowly snapped out of it.

She then climbed off of the chair, moving it back to its original spot, next to Karina. The girl looked more pale than before. She has already been in a coma for 10 days now and her skin has been losing its color each day.

The small hand of the younger girl rested on Karina's cheek gently, creasing it so softly.

"How was your day, my love?" She whispered, her voice seeming so small. There was silence, nothing but silence in the air. Even though Karina had been in a coma she heard a doctor say in her full memory that the older one could still hear her regardless.

"I went to karaoke with giselle and ningning today." She said, her hands moving to hold Karina's cold ones. "It doesn't feel the same since you weren't there to sing paper hearts.." A crack released in Winter's voice. Her lip quivering and her eyes had started to water.

Her head had lowered, looking at their hands. One was alive fully and the others was only half alive.

"You'll wake up, right? Once you wake up I'll get you for leaving me!" She spoke in a jokingly manner. But even the jokingly tone wasn't able to hide the pain in her voice.

A small knock on the door was placed, the door then sliding open without a word.

"I thought you might want this since you have been here for so long." The girl said, with a long white coat on, black glasses that matched her ginger hair perfectly. She then walked to winter with a small soda can, handing it to her politely.

With a smile Winter took it, "thanks Yunjin."

Yunjin had been the doctor friend she got ever since Karina had entered the coma, she had been there at every visit Winter had took. And it's been ten days in a row.

"Please, let me see her." She begged the doctors who were keeping her away from the hospital room where Karina had laid.

Even if she had begged them for her own life the doctors would still hold her back from seeing the patient. It was stupid and foolish. Why couldn't she see her own girlfriend who was on the edge of dying?