Chapter 4

There's no way he's serious right now. How clueless can he be?

"Y-You're joking, right?" I asked, looking at him. Langa tilted his head.

"I'm not joking. What's so awkward about it? It's just two friends riding together and I'm injured so your helping me out. Besides, I can't keep my balance so I'm holding on to you," he says.  I couldn't turn around since we were on the skateboard, but I had a shocked expression on my face. How do I explain to him that we look like some type of couple? Or that a teenage boy shouldn't hold onto a teenage girl he just met!

"Just—never mind, please place your hands on my shoulders and not my hips," I ask him, sighing in disbelief. Langa stayed clueless but listened to me and placed his hands on my shoulders.

After that awkward-weird conversation, we both stayed quiet. We soon came to our high school and I stopped the skateboard. I got off and when he took his hands off me, he fell down and couldn't hold himself together. I helped Langa up and he placed his arm over my shoulder for balance. 

"Yikes, your injury must be pretty bad," I say, filling with guilt. If I hadn't bumped into him, this would have never happened. "I'm really sorry..."

"Why are you apologizing? It was kind of my fault for being at the end of the hill anyway. Besides, if this had never happened, we would have never become friends," Langa says. He doesn't even think badly of me. It made my heart race and my cheeks turned a light shade of pink. I didn't want Langa to see it, so I covered my cheek with my hair.

We began walking while I held on to Langa, but he seemed to be in too much pain to walk. He tried keeping a smile on while walking, but his pain was so obvious. I stopped and looked up at Langa. 

"Hey, you seem to be in so much pain. Do you want me to give you a piggyback ride?" I asked Langa. Though I looked like a twig (according to my uncle), I was pretty strong. Langa looked in surprise and shook his head immediately.

"No way! I'd look like some weakling if I got carried by a girl," he says, looking around as people walked into the building. I froze and looked at Langa with a slight pout. 

"Is it the stereotype of girls being weaker than boys? Langa, just let me carry you. You're really injured and we can't waste more time," I say. When I said his name for the first time, Langa froze. I looked confused as to why he just froze. "Ahem? Something wrong?"

"Yeah, fine," Langa says, ignoring what just happened. I bent down slightly as he hopped on my back. His legs were wrapped around my waist and his hands were around my neck.

Langa's POV

Asuke seems like a odd type of girl and I can't believe she can carry me too! She seems stronger than she looks. The bell rang to be in class.

"Shit, the bell rang," Asuke says under her breath. I didn't say anything. To be honest, I kind of liked being carried by her. Her hair smells like aloe vera. Not like the raw aloe vera that is smelly—like the scent of aloe vera in shampoos, soaps, and moisturizers.

I pressed my face against her hair and closed my eyes. My grip on her hips got tighter and I felt a soft shiver from her body.  I didn't notice how everyone was watching us, nor did I care because I liked how I felt.

"Langa?" Asuke says. My heart began beating, like before, when we crashed into each other for the first time. This feeling was weird, but I didn't hate it. I liked it...it felt like a bit of excitement and nervousness when I'm near her. "Oi, Langa!"

"Huh?" I ask, lifting my head a little.

"Where's the nurse's office?" She asks.

"Straight, take a left, and it's the first room there," I mutter and go back to pressing my face on her head.

Back to Asuke's POV

I felt his face on my head again and it made my heart race. I could barely breathe, like I'm going to have an asthma attack...I don't even have asthma.

His hands were cold, but really soft. The way Langa acted reminded me of a clueless baby. It was odd, but I didn't find it weird. Well, I did find it weird but it is kind of weird.

Soon, we reached the nurse's office and I explained to the nurse what happened. I placed Langa on the bed and the nurse asked him questions while checking his leg.

"Asuke Sakurayashiki? Am I right?" The nurse asks me. I nodded quickly and got up. "Langa needs to go to the hospital. He seems a bit too injured for me to fix. You should go to your class." I felt the rush of guilt come back again. I looked over at him in pity, but Langa had his eyes closed. 

"Um, can you tell me where class 2-1 is and I'll be on my way? Please update me on Langa's health," I ask the nurse. She smiles at me and nods. I got the directions to where my class was and went there. I knocked on the door and the teacher came and opened it.

"Class, please meet our new student, Asuke Sakurayashiki." I walked inside awkwardly. There were some whispers in the room, but I didn't care to listen to them. I was a bit too worried about Langa. The worst part was that it was my fault!

"H-Hello. My name is Asuke Sakurayashiki. I moved here from Tokyo and I live with my uncle," I say. I looked around the room and Reki was there. He smiles at me and waves eagerly. I awkwardly waved back at him.

"Ah, so you must know Reki? You can sit across from him. I got the second-to-last seat. It was one row away from the window. Reki was sitting on the way back, right next to the window. 

"Hey! So your name is Asuke?" He asks me, smiling hard. 

"U-Uh yeah. Reki right?" I ask awkwardly. He smiles excitedly and nods.

"Yeah, and the person who sits behind you is Langa! I don't know why he isn't here today," Reki says, confused. I froze immediately and turned to face the teacher.