1

The sound of feet softly padding against the hardwood floor filled the cramped apartment on the west side of the cut. The high-chair squeaks a bit as small baby giggles erupt from the smiley girls mouth. She sits in front of me, smiling with bright eyes and a gap-toothed grin, filled with cut up blueberries. I sit there laughing, repeatedly fake-punching myself as she watches me, in hysterics each time. I take off her bib as she finishes eating, sticky blueberries covering her sweet face, and lift her out of the high chair, setting her down as I go to get the wipes. As I put her down for her nap, mum texts and I get ready for work.

"3 burgers for table 12" someone yells from the kitchen of the country club, as I finish up making martinis for my table. I hear their whispers when I walk up to their table but paint a smile on to get it over and done with. "She's the one who got pregnant at 18 right?" They say, or "god such a waste of a good life." When will rich people mind their own business for once? I head to the table out on the balcony where people have just sat down. I take their orders kindly, whilst Rafe Cameron and his friends just sit there deciding which ten dollar cocktail to have today, not realising the privilege that washes over them every second. I get them their drinks, but this time I don't hear whispers as I walk up to the table, and I can't feel the stares when I turn away from them. They seem oddly sincere, not anything like how they are described to be.

The keys jangle in my fist as I unlock the door, my mum sitting on the floor in the living area, Mabel ,my 8 month old daughter, huddled in her lap as they read a book. "Hey mum," I say, putting my things down as I head toward them. "Hey sweetie, you alright?" She asks turning to me. My mum has always been there for me, even when dad kicked me out, and even when Jj Maybank abandoned me because he found out I was pregnant. She's the kindest woman I know , and has taken on the burden of looking after sweet Mabel whilst I'm at work for the past three months. "Mhm, I'm fine. But how was your day?" I say in a stupid high pitched voice turning to my daughter, which puts her in fits of giggles. "Ri, you need to stop doing that voice to her! You sound stupid" she looks up at me from the floor, marker all over her face. She must've been doing some drawing earlier and not seen it. I start laughing at her and how silly she looks whilst calling me an idiot. "What?" She asks, confusedly, "what is it?" She asks a bit louder, getting annoyed now. "Valerie, you better tell me why your laughing right now or-" She gets up handing me Mabel and running over to the bathroom to check in the mirror, and I hear her laughing a minute later.

The sound of cars going past and a blur of light quickly fills my room. Mabel's been asleep now for a couple hours and I'm scrolling on my phone, laying in bed, on a Saturday night. At my age I should really be out getting drunk but I just don't have the time to manage a social life on top of my job and my daughter. A message pops up on my screen from Abbie, a co-worker, which is weird because she normally only messages me to cover for her at work.

Abbie work

Abbie
Hey, have you heard what happened after
you left work earlier?

Valerie
No, what happened? Should I be scared haha

Abbie
Maybe......

Valerie
Oh no, what happened?

Abbie
Nothing bad! Just joking around
...... but I did hear Rafe Cameron talking
about you.

Valerie
Everyone in OBX talks about me abbs.......
...but what did he say?!?

Abbie
Not everyone! I don't !
Anyway I overheard this girl he was with chatting shit about you and then he stood up for you, saying how you guys used to be close and how he thinks you're really brave for keeping Mabel.

Valerie
Stop that is actually so kind wtf... I was best
friend with him for ages, kinda miss it :)

Abbie
I so agree, he's always rly nice to me, anyway i enjoyed filling you in on all the gossip but I gtg, goodnight! X

Valerie
As always thanks and goodnight x