6

The pogues sit in the smoke filled van, their conversation stretching out  into the open street. Rafe and i stand outside my front door for a second, silently listening in to what they have to say.
"John B! talk some sense into him!" Kiara whines.
"She is right J, theres no point, its pointless ," John B says, agreeing with the girl.
"I know okay! I know Goddamnit i just want to see her!" Jj shouts angrily.
"Why her? Cmon J, get over it, shes usless"Kiara  says. The twinkie starts up again, the engine buzzing down the street, but me and Rafe stand still, shocked.
"Does he do that often?" Rafe asks, it being clear that  the pogues were talking about me.
"Every two months or so," i say, grabbing my keys and starting to unlock the door, "but not once has he actually talked to me..... I think its just his way of trting to prove hes still a good guy, like if i noticed he sits outside sometimes ill think 'wow hes the perfect man' and get back with him. He shouldve just not been such a shitty person, maybe then id invite him in." Rafe looks at me apologetically.
"Im sorry that you and Mabel have to deal with that," He sounds honestly sorry.
"I hate him more than anyone on this planet, but not once have i wished he didnt exist, because he brought me Mabel and i am so grateful for that." I say, wanting to go up to see my daughter. Rafe looks at me with his shiny eyes.
"Ive had fun, and im so glad you came princess," He says and turns back to his car. Never have i had butterflies in my stomach this bad. I wave to him casually as he drives off, unlocking my door as soon as hes gone. I jog lightly inside, wanting to see my baby girl.

Mabel sits in the high chair happily, my mother not in sight. I loft her up gently, her soft limbs moulding like putty to rest on my hip, and i go looking for my mum.
"Mum!" i call out, wandering through the halls. She emerges from my bedroom looking happily at me, her hair curly and a wide smile stretching from ear to ear.
"I saw you chatting with Rafe Cameron just now," She says looking at me suggestingly.
"No mum, you know its not like that,"
"No, all i know is that JJ maybank still comes and parks his van outside every time he's too drunk to deal with the fact that he abandoned you, and im just saying that a new boyfriend might help him get the hint..... And also Rafe is a good kid" She sounds honest about Rafe.
" Mum, i dont know okay.... But i mean, i do, kinda, sort of, a little bit, have a tinsy insy crush on him. I mean, the charm of rafe cameron is impeccable." We laugh so hard, and im not even sure if were laughing at the stupid sentence, or the occasion, or maybe even the fact that i like someone again, after years of
avoiding the outside world all because of one boy.

Rafe texts me again later that night, after hours of playing with Mabel i finnally get to sit down and read it, not knowing what it could possibly say.

Rafe Cameron ☀️

Rafe
Has JJ come by your house
again today princess?

Valerie
No..... he'll only do it when he thinks im
not in. Honestly, it kind of scares me that he
only comes to see his own daughter when im
not there to protect her yk?

Rafe
He wouldnt do anything to her, i promise.
And if he ever does anything, to you or her,
or even just stops outside your house, call me
because ill look after you both,
dont worry princess

Valerie
Thank you rafe, honestly.