4

My head pounds with the guilt of last nights affairs as my eyes drizzle open in hope that ive miraculously ended up in my own bed since the night before. The room is huge and clean, with a couple green plants and a balcony overlooking a backgarden. Which backgarden? But just then i notice the iconic pool, different from most others in the Outer Banks. Tannyhill. Why am i still here? Whose room is this. A knock on the door forces me to sit up in bed, just as rafe walks in, glass of water in hand.
"What happened last night?" i look at him sheepishly, truly not remembering anything from last night.
"We didnt..... if thats what youre asking." He replies easing my worries about one thing at least.
"Um, but what did happen? sorry i cant remember fuck all."
"I think someone spiked your drink." The world around me goes quiet all of a sudden. Tears prick my eyes but im not quite sure why. How was i that irresponsible? You cant be doing this stuff you have a child. Whats wrong with you? imagine what couldve happened.
"Valerie. Hey, are you good? You kind of zoned out then." He looks up at me, only then noticing the tears brimming my eyes.
"Im so sorry," i apologise as a tear falls aoftly down my cheek, "Im not normally this emotional, i just cant believe i was so irresponsible, I shouldve covered my drink at least. Fuck...sorry." I wipe fallen tears off my face.
"Its not your fault, hes a scumbag and i shouldn't have invited him anyway." He looks at me kindly, his soft eyes reassuring me.
"Please i beg, just dont blame yourself for any if this alright?" he says and i nod, "Theres breakfast downstairs if you want it and i'll drive you home, i was heading out in the car anyway."
"No its fine honestly, youve done so much thank you."
"No ill give you a lift. Im heading close to there anyway."
"Are you sure? .... thank you"

The car ride was silent, but comfortable. The radio hummed in the background and the summer sun shined beautifly on the Outer Banks, a golden hue falling upon the sea. The car slows down to a halt as we arrive outside my apartment, Rafe looking over in my direction.
"I really mean it Thank you, god knows what wouldve happened if you didnt save the day." We chuckle lightly, shedding a bit of light on a dark situation.
"Im youre knight in shining armour, here whenever." He smiles sweetly, dimples denting his cheeks and eyes sparkling happily. I smile back, dimples and all. I unclip my belt and watch the car drive away, before turning to the door, excited to see my daughter. As usual enter my front door, Mabels happy noises fill the halls. That sound that i missed so dearly after only one night.
"Hi mum!" I yell through the halls, hoping mum will hear me and emerge from some room with my sweet girl in her arms. And she does exactly so, emerging from i bedroom Mabel tucked close to get chest, eyes tired from her morning nap.
"Thank you so much mum," i look at her dearly and she nods a 'your welcome'  " Ive had a shit night"
"What happened honey?" she says as we go sit down on the sofa, Mabel now softly cooing in my arms.
"Som dirtbag spiked my drink at the party last night but rafe got there just in time and took me to his room to make sure i was safe." She looks at me shocked after all the information she has just received.
"Oh lord, sweetie are you alright? did he hurt you?"
"Im fine just shaken up is all,"
"Oh honey,"

Mabel sits in the front of the cart happily, waving at people we pass by as i load pasta and eggs into our shopping cart. The sun is setting outside and i managed to get my car back from the garage earlier, so its waiting patiently in the car park. The car was a gift for my seventeenth birthday and makes me feel like such a kook whenever i drive around in it. Im not sure if im a kook or a pogue anymore. I was raised rich and privileged, things coming to me when and if i wanted them, but now, 19 years old with an 8 month old baby,living  in an apartment i can bearly pay for, even with my full time job, boyfriend abandoned me, dad kicked me out, no friends. I think ive finally become a pogue. The till beeps as the staff member scans my shopping, smiling at me every now and again. I load the bags into my car and clip Mabel in, setting off on our way back. I wind the windows down, letting the refreshing summer breeze cool me down and turn on a bit of Amy Winehouse, Mabels fauvorite. We arrive back at the house and watch a bit of 'lady and the tramp' mine and Mabels comfort film, as i start the routine to put her down for bed. Once shes in bed i check my phone, seeing as though i havent been on it all day, buf i dont expect anything. But there is. A text from Rafe of all people.

Rafe cameron

R.C
Hey  i just wanted to say that im really
glad you were there last night, and im
sorry that dick ruined it for you but
i hope it will be better next time. X

Valerie
Hii, you dont have to be sorry, but
thank you anyway. Who says there will be a
next time cameron? 🫣 X

5 minutes later he replies,

R.C
i do princess.