8

The next morning i woke to the sound of the coffee machine whirring in my kitchen. Once again Rafe cameron had stayed the night, though still sleeping on my sofa. I padded through the halls to find he had woken up and to Mabels early morning schedule and made her breakfast, leaving me to have a bit of a lie-in. We're quickly reverting back to our old state of very close best friends but i cant help but feel like there could be something more, but maybe thats just my childish hope shinning through. I sit at the stool in my kitchen, Rafes back turned as he tries to work out what an 8 month old baby wants for breakfast.
"Good morning," i say smiling sweetly. He jumps, clearly not realising i was there.
"Morning princess," He smiles, but quickly turns back toward the kitchen looking confusedly at his phone.
"Are you trying to figure out what Mabel eats?" i say looking at him, already knowing the answer.
"No, i just happened to be searching what 8 month olds eat," I pat his shoulder lightly and take over the cooking. He sits on a stool playing sweet games with Mabel as i make some pancakes for all of us.
"You know, i really lile how we never got awkward" He says looking at me.
"What do you mean?"
"We never had an awkward phase, yeah i mean sure we disnt speak to eachother for like 2 years, but we never had an awkward, half-friends stage. Even when we were kids, you asked me to play princesses and that was it, and now im over at your house and were cooking pancakes" He says thoughtfully, still playing adorable games with mabel as she coos happily jn her high chair.
"I guess were just too good at being best friends," I look at him, but he seems hurt at the thought, and so do i, because maybe we would never be more. I turn back to my pancakes and rafe carries on playing peek-a-boo with Mabel. My phone buzzes quickly and i ask rafe to get it for me,
"Who is it?"
"Oh, uh its Sarah actually," He says surprisedly.

I rush over to my phone as Rafe takes care of the pancakes, since its weird that she texted me; she hasnt done in a year and a half. I unlock my phone quickly and search for the text, only to see the message.

Sarah Cameron

Sarah C.
Hey,  do you want to meet me at the
beach today? I feel like we
need to talk.  x

Im so shocked. I didnt even know she had my number let alone wanted to talk. My head spins as i try to grasp on what she could possibly want to talk about.  The phone buzzes again, and Rafe looks over as if to asks 'what is it, are you okay?'.

Sarah C.
Meet me at the Boneyard at 1, you can
bring Mabel too x

Valerie
Yeah, um okay.

Rafe walks up to me and pats me on the shoulder to catch my attention. My mind is running with thoughts; this is so bizarre.
"What was that, Princess?" He asks one hand placed gently on my shoulder sending ripples through my chest.
"Sarah wants to talk." i look at him wide eyed, "She told me to meet her at the boneyard and bring mabel too." He looks surprised, but notices me unsure about it all.
",dont worry okay? Everything is gonna be fine, shes been talking about you recently she probably just misses you and wants to get back in touch okay?"
I look at him nervously, fiddling my thumbs.
"If it makes you feel any better, ill go with you okay? Ill wait in the car and you can go catch up with her,"

The car ride over is silent except for the hum of the exaust and the soft coos of Mabel in the back seat. Rafe constantly checks the mirror to check on Mabel, always scared hes driving too fast for her. I sit in the front as the beaches and sun beams fly past me, not focusing on anything. My thumbs fidget in my lap and get picked raw from my teeth. Rafe puts his hand over mine.
"Dont worry, yeah? Im here," He looks at me and i wish to kiss him right there, but i dont think well ever get too. We pull up to a stop at the bone yard, the soft crunch of sand skidding under the tire wheels as we arrive. My stomach drops immediately though, as i pull my head up and see the twinkie, parked behind a couple trees. Fuck no.