Chapter 4: The Emerald Forest

"One last question, Professor Ozpin mentioned how partners are made through eye contact, but he never mentioned how teams of four are made." You realise. "Wonder how two and two get together?"

"Beats me." Ryden replies while following you. "But we should focus on finding our potential teammates first."

"Agreed."

Wandering around the forest, you try to come up with interesting topics with your partner to pass the time finding the temple.

"You ever thought of who you would like to have as your teammates?" You ask.

"I'm fine with anyone, really." Ryden states.

"Oh!" You realise. "Then as long as we're both in agreement."

"As long as it's not the Schnee girl." He whispers to himself.

But you overhear him say that, so you mention:

"Weiss doesn't seem that bad. I mean sure she's a bit difficult, but I'm sure she'll make a good friend."

"A Schnee is a Schnee." Ryden denies.

"And a person is a person, meaning that no one's the same." You rebuttal.

Your partner looks at you, surprised at your perspective.

"I assume you hate the Schnee Dust Company, right?" You take a guess. "Remember, I want to help and I'm here to lend an ear..."

Ryden growls and grits his teeth. Realising that you shouldn't dwell on it further, you pat on his shoulder.

"Then I won't ask you for more unless you choose to reveal it." You continue walking. "Take your time."

Noticing that your partner isn't moving, you add:

"And whenever you're ready, I'll stay by your side...no matter what."

Ryden sighs in response and follows you further through the forest.

---

Within the woods, Aquila and Kalmia continue wandering through the trees.

"Speaking of teammates, have you wondered...?" Aquila asks.

"Wait, hold on." Kalmia stops walking.

"Yeah, you're right. Someone probably asked that already."

"No, not that. Do you hear..."

"Look out!"

Aquila pushes his partner onto the ground for both of them to duck under an Ursa crashing through the trees, setting the area on fire.

"This time the wildfire's your fault, Smokey." Aquila jests after witnessing the Grimm bear on fire.

They then get back up to see Blake kill another Ursa by stabbing it in front of Yang.

"C'mon, Aquila. We're leaving." Kalmia walks away from the area with her partner in tow.

After getting away, Aquila asks:

"Why did we leave those two? They could be our potential teammates."

"To answer your question earlier, I'd rather team up with people I know." Kalmia explains. "Sorry, I'm just worried if I make eye contact..."

"I'm sure that works for partners only, not teams."

Kalmia looks back at their previous burning location, then looks back at her partner.