3| Not If...When

As I stood in the kitchen of one of my best friends, I couldn't help but feel an enormous sense of gratitude towards the man standing in front of me. Everyone knew about Harper's difficulty with getting pregnant, and they also knew that she and I were still trying, but Ayden was one of the very few people who knew every single medical detail.

Even though he wasn't officially practicing medicine currently, Ayden got his license reinstated a few months ago. And then he took it upon himself to reach out to our OB-GYN, and with our permission, the two of them were working closely together to help us.

When he came to me that early Friday morning and explained he wanted to work with our doctor to learn everything there was to know about Harper's situation, I was dumbfounded. It wasn't that I cared that he would be involved in our business, I just didn't understand the reason behind it.

"I want to be prepared for anything, Jackson. Just in case."

After what happened with Lanie and her car accident two years ago, Ayden's been pretty worried about everyone. And I've been trying to get his advice about the whole pregnancy situation. Which was one reason I was in his kitchen right now.

"You hungry?" Ayden asked as he flipped some pancakes over in the frying pan. "I can make some more if you want some."

"Yeah, sure. Thanks." I glanced around the large space. "Where's Jack?"

"He's asleep. But he should be up any second." Ayden put a stack of pancakes on a plate before reaching for more of the mix. "Hey, listen. Don't tell Lanie that I let you call him Jack, alright? I'm kind of already in hot water with her for working late the other night."

With an amused snort I walked over to the table and sat down. "You and me both, mate."

"What do you mean?"

"I guess you can say that I was the reason my wife was late to meet the girls for lunch today."

Aydens brows shot up and nearly disappeared into his blonde hair. "Shit, Jackson. You're playing with fire. You know you're going to owe her some more cake, right?"

I shrugged a shoulder. "I'm planning to deliver said dessert tomorrow. All will be smoothed over. No need to fret."

"Says you," he quipped. "But if she finds out I don't give you shit when you call him Jack, I'm gonna be the one in the doghouse. No amount of cake is going to fix that one."

"Perhaps," I chuckled. "But she should have known better before giving him that name."

When her son was born, Lanie named him Nathan Jack Sawyer. She said she wanted to name him after the three most important men in her life who had been there for her and meant a lot of her. Naturally, I was honored that my name was included. Of course, she didn't anticipate that Jack would be the only name that I called him.

"Yeah, you're probably right." Ayden's expression sobered before he asked, "So when will you know for sure if this time worked?"

My own smile faltered. Normally it would be weird for your best friend to know about your wife's ovulation schedule, but considering we asked Ayden for his help, we've made the best of it. And Ayden was one hundred percent professional.

"Today was the last day of her cycle. So maybe two weeks or so?" My mind went back to this morning and the way she looked at her reflection in the mirror. "I think it's starting to get to her, Ayden."

"Did she say that?"

"Not directly. She tries to put on a brave face, but all this try and fail is waying on her."