Chapter 1: Prologue

Chapter Summary: On the night of the 31st October 1998, Kevin and Jools Brockner are killed by a cloaked figure, orphaning their child Sah Brockner. Many visitors come to the house in the moments after but only one ends up taking Sah out of the home...

******************************************************************************

31st October, 1998

Kevin had already gone to bed by the time Jools had been awoken by her child's whimpering cries. Sensing something was wrong, Jools pulled out her wand and raced to Sah's bedroom, where she found her child crying in their crib, a haunting figure standing over them.

Jools waved her wand, snarling as she walked into the room. "Depulso!" She yelled. A bolt of light blue energy flew at the figure, pushing them back. The figure crashed against the wall, knocking over the bookshelf.

This did not deter the figure, however, and he regained his stamina quickly before starting to retaliate. "Expelliarmus!" He yelled.

However, to Jools ears, this was drowned by the sound of Kevin shouting "Protego", sending the red spark of the figure's spell shooting off and creating a dent in the wall at the back of the room.

"Take Sah and run, Jools. Get out of the house." Kevin ground out, taking an offensive stance in front of his wife and child. Jools tried to argue, but the figure was already flicking his wand.

"Avada Kedavra!" The cloaked being cried. A green bolt of energy hit Kevin's chest, forcing him backwards until his back hit the window ledge. He crumpled to the ground, unmoving.

"Kevin!" Jools wailed as Sah cried in her arms, their tiny hands clutching at their mother's robe. The figure turned on her, wand raised again.

"Avada Kedavra!" He barked. Jools turned her back to shield Sah from the killing blow, taking the brunt of the curse herself. She collapsed on the ground, eyes half-open and fingers weakly twitching as she held a limp arm protectively around her child.

The figure kicked her aside, raising his wand again. However, before he could even cast the spell, a spark of golden light enveloped the infant, and blasted him directly in the chest. The figure cried out in agony as he seemingly crumbled to dust.

Just moments after Jools and Kevin were killed, another cloaked figure ran into the room. Stevie felt her world crumble to dust, darkened heart breaking as she knelt down and pulled Jools into her arms, cradling her, and gently brushing a few strands of hair away from her face.

Sah was ignored by Stevie, crying on the floor for the loss of their parents, even if being a one year old meant they could not comprehend the entirety of the situation.

This was the scene in the destroyed house at Godric's Hollow for only a few minutes before Stevie heard the sound of a motorbike and disapparated out of there, letting Jools' body drop to the floor once more.

Iain landed the motorbike, although he already realised he was too late. Still, there had to be some chance...

As he turned off the engine, he could hear the cries of Sah. There's life in the house — maybe Kevin and Jools are still alive too. He ran in through the open door and up the stairs. When he reached the top, he turned towards the room that the cries were coming from.

He collapsed to the floor. For 30 seconds, all he could think about was that two of his best friends had been killed, and one of his other supposed best friends led them to their death.

Wormtail... He didn't deserve that name anymore. Jacob Masters gave up the lives of Kevin and Jools. For what? His own life? Iain would have traded his own life in a heartbeat if it meant that Kevin, Jools and Sah could live their own.

Iain came back to reality, with more crying screams from Sah. He picked up the baby and cradled them in his arms. He didn't know what to do. Should he take Sah and go into hiding? Maybe he could get Faith to join them. But it won't be safer. Sah could be in even more danger if they were to be with him — the death eaters would know it would be Iain that would take Sah.

It was at this point, as Iain sat with these thoughts going through his head, trying to calm down his godchild, that he heard the familiar footsteps of the half giant that lived at Hogwarts. As this familiar face entered the room, Iain noticed tears in his eyes.

"What are you doing here, Fairhead?"

"Hanssen sent me, Iain. He told me to pick up Sah and... take them to their aunt's place?"

"To live with muggles? With them? You can't be serious, Fairhead! Those people won't be good for Sah. They will make their life miserable."

"Sorry Iain. Hanssen's orders."

Iain sighed. He trusted Hanssen. So did Kevin and Jools. If these were his orders, then, well, he couldn't go against them.

"You can take the bike."

"What?"

"You can take the bike, Fairhead. I don't need it anymore. You can use the sidecar for Sah."

Iain said one last goodbye to Sah — one last cuddle from their godfather — before wrapping them up in blankets and handing them to Fairhead.

"Take good care of them, Fairhead. Make sure they get there safely."

Iain then walked out of the house and out into Godric's Hollow. Fairhead didn't know where Iain was going. After he disappeared out of sight, he went outside and brought Sah closer to his chest, saving them from the late Autumn chill.

He stared at Sah, crying and wriggling in their blankets. A scar sat just above their right eye, already healed as if it had been an old wound. The scar was shaped like a lightning bolt, with sharp points and thickened lines. The scar tissue was red, but faded to white at the centre of the wound.

The child-who-lived.

******************************************************************************

Authors notes:

From S.M.Lees: Hi, for those who don't know me, I am terrible at writing things often so hopefully this collab will be a kick in the butt that I need to get writing things often. Anyways, I'm here to focus mainly on the storyline and Harry Potter features of this series. Anyways, I hope you enjoyed this chapter and keep tuned for the next one :)

From Moxxie: Coming away from my oneshot book on ao3 for a while to try writing this project with my best friend S.M.Lees, seeing as I love Casualty and we both love the HP series. As mentioned before, the next chapter will be published soon. Constructive criticism is encouraged!