5. The ball

It was the night of the ball and I was getting ready as Anna and Barbara Lightwood were in my room, we all called each other cousins even though we were blood related only to Anna. Anna was setting Barbara's hair steady. I came out of the folding screen wearing a gown, its decolette was queen anne styled and had the color of mahogany just like there was a layer of illusions on the skirt on the same color, the ball gown dress was maroon as the it was touching the ground. Barbara insisted that I let my hair down and she started fixing the curls and add some accessories, I was unsure which ones.

"Let's make you shine more, shall we?" Anna commented and opened the drawer of my makeup. I rarely used because I was too bored of that process.

"Do we really have to?" I asked her and raised my eye brows and looked at her through the mirror.

"You are too moody and glitter always fixes the mood" Barbara agreed and borrowed my brush to fix her hair. She looked prettier than anyone I ever saw. "Do you think Ollie will like the dress?" She asked us.

"Oliver would like you even if you wore the uniform of the Queens guard." I commented as Anna told me to keep my eyelids closed. I could feel her applying something on the cup of my eye and then she was adding mascara to my eye lashes. She then returned to my eyes.

"She is not wrong Barb" Anna commented as she then added some blush on my cheeks.

"Owo, Linette! You look breathtaking." Barbara spoke adoringly and massaged my shoulders lightly. She was wearing gloves and I felt a shudder of relief as she did. They both knew of my issue and they were used to be attentive around my room.

I opened my eyes and I couldn't help but smile. Glitter was indeed making everything look better and me included. "Anna, this is amazing. Thank you so much, both of you." I smiled and got up making a turn.

"Awe your welcome kiddo" Anna spoke and tugged some hair behind my ear with storge. I looked at her. "And if anyone dares to comment anything. Oh just let me know." She said as we started making our way to the ballroom when we heard noises from the game room.

"What if they call me 'bohemian'? Excuse them it is not an insult." I smiled and turned to see Matthew and James fighting over my father's bouse.

"Bohemian?" James asked lowly.

"What?" Math asked James "Oh Anna Have you been sent to fetch us? He then asked aagain sagging against my brother's shoulder.

"If by fetch you mean drag you back to the ball room since I cannot really take care of all those girls?" Anna asked holding the doo, while I was on the corridor. Barbara waved at us and left to meet her fiancée and I took a step forward.

"And I am certain all those ladies are waiting for you three..." I smiled as I leaned charmingly to the door frame. "Perhaps I could join?" I asked. I was only mocking them. I never knew a bit of glitter and some blush could cheer me up like that. Anna knows what she is doing.

"Owo... The bohemian..." Math spoke and his gaze was fixed on me, he was drunk again and I could tell.

"All prepared for the Ari's brother I see." My brother commented and I raised my eyebrow.

Anna looked at me and took my hand "Oh I didn't make art on our Lina to give her straight to him!" she exclaimed and looked at me. "I will dance with her. No one will be as pretty as my cousin" She smiled and I hugged her causing shocked expressions to the pair of parabatai.

"Speaking of art, you still have my coat." Math commented as he carefully took my hand and we all made our way to the ball room

"I thought it was disposable." I commented looking at him, his eyes were fixed on the glitter around my eyes.

"So you don't have it? Shame, things touched by me are too precious." He sighed as he was walking pretty straight for a drunk person. His fingers tangled around mine, he was only touching my glove, the only fabric less part of my body where my neck and collarbone, so I felt rather safe.

"Oh I have it. Therefore since your declaration of perish concerning the clothing I adopted it. Namely it is no longer yours Mr. Fairchild. I am incredibly sorry." I spoke, my tone was formal and I looked at him. My smirk was playful as I looked at him.

Math giggled lightly. "Very well miss Herondale, I am afraid you owe me the first dance of your night. It is the least you can do after kidnapping my precious coat." He added and as soon as we got at the ball room I felt his hand on my waist pulling me against his body. His one hand gently held mine gently. I wasn't left with many choices. I placed my arm around his neck. Despite my heels, I was still much shorter. I hadn't realized how much taller than me he actually is. I felt a weird feeling in my stomach as I was noticing details on Matthew that I never had the years before. It was triggering an arrythmia that was oddly euphoric.

"All of a sudden you lost your voice Lina? Looks like there are more things that unnerve you. You just can't get enough of my face" Math remarked as his voice was laced with a bizarre ounce of satisfaction. It was the moment I admitted to myself how much I like his voice spelling my name. It was true that I was never quiet around Math. I was seizing every chance that was given to him to be ironic or mock him just like I did with James.

"Don't be flattered Matthew. I look up to you only because I am short." I cameback with a smart reply. I had better moments than this one, I must admit.

"Oh, that's the best answer you can come up with?" He asked me and suddenly pushed me into a small turn before pulling me back to him, once again slightly crushing to his body. I gasped.

"A little heads up the next time would be much appreciated." I smiled at him and looked around.

"Who are you looking for?" Math asked me, he was curious and I could tell.

"They are looking at us." I informed him, my hand twitched in his grip. I didn't enjoy being the center of attention, even though I loved to dance. I could see freaking Rosamund commenting something to Catherine, it made my stomach twist.

"They are only looking at you." He corrected me and I turned at him, my eyes wide in anxiety as I tried to maintain the rest of my facial expression as it was, casual. "Hey, they are looking at you because you look wonderful. And remember it is just us. You teaching me how to dance on the first ball we were allowed to attend." He added calmly. It worked as I only had my complete attention to his lips and what he was telling me. I smiled. "There it is." He smiled back.

We kept dancing smoothly to the music, it was indeed just me and him until I saw her... Grace Blackthorn. Soon in my optical space, I spotted my brother and tracking back to the beeline he left there was Cordelia left alone.

"Math..." I paused abruptly. "Go to her..." I spoke and gulped at the shock she felt. She was my age, I think, and she had never had the chance to attend such ball, hence she doesn't know that this idiocy of my brother leaving her like that could turn to something scandalous.

"I can't... I mean you-." Math spoke and frowned.

"I wont be hearing the honey dripping from the crones for the first time, and I can handle it. You know it. It would be a shame for Cordelia..." I sighed looking at her. I was angry at James. I was to walk there as well when Aiden Bridgestock appeared in front of me.

Awesome!