10. I missed my family

"Thomas!" I yelled and pushed him. His gaze wandered off, I realized it was to check on Barbara. I fell on the side of his as we were both to the grass in order to avoid a razor tentacle. I felt it wrap around my ankle. "Oh no..." I looked down at it.

Thomas held my wrist carefully to hold me on shore as I turned and with an abrupt movement of my other wrist I released my whip. That cut the tentacle. My whip returned as a bracelet on my hand. It was given to me by Matthew as I was the one who brought his stele at the ceremony of the Parabatai bond. It was gold and had small flowers carved on it, its ends had a fairy wing each. It was a Fairchild heirloom.

James raced to our spot, My gaze searching Luce, I saw Matthew next to her, giving her a blade and I felt some sort of relief, James hugged me abruptly. "Are you okay?" He asked and nodded.

"I saw it attack Piers..." Barbara exclaimed, she was upset, panicked as she came running to us. Thomas hugged her lightly.

"I am going to check on him" Thomas assured her as Oliver arrived.

"Jamie... Jamie, Lina, it was a demon I saw it." She spoke and almost cried. I got her shoulders gently and forced her to look at me.

"Barb, calm down... it was probably something else. A fae trick?" I smiled assuringly. James was standing close to both of us. It annoyed me but I liked his protective side.

"Exactly darling. Demons cannot withstand the light." Oliver tried to reason with her and I offered her a smile.

"Linette, James" Barbara whispered to us, I felt a bit creeped out as she pulled us close to her. "You see things people cannot. Perhaps you saw something last night?" she asked us, I was so unaware of what she spoke therefore James seemed to know what she referred to as he was caught off guard.

"Barbara I don-." He spoke she cut him off.

" I did, I saw shapes, ragged and pitch black. And I saw something catch me and drag me down..." Barbara spoke but this time Oliver pulled her in a hug.

"Love don't over excite yourself." He sighed.

"No I saw one just now, it leaped on Piers" She added and I exchange a glance with my brother as Matthew appeared tall, not as much as Thomas, behind us. "How is Piers?" Barbara asked, her panic overflowing again. It hurt watching her so scared. I approached her and Oliver holding her hands in my own before Matth would reply.

"He doesn't look good." He replied and she sobbed, I pulled her in a hug before he would continue. "Iratzes don't work..." he announced and I felt her hitched breath

"I told you... the demon crawled at his throat!" she yelled. "Come and see." She spoke and I followed her as we walked the grass up to the edge of the lake. My gaze fell in and I felt sick to my stomach, my spine shuddered. When I raised my gaze I saw the boys next to me, they saw it too. Suddenly the environment seemed to alter. The beautiful park was gray, the lake had turned black. The wind blue wild and it made me gasp as I looked around trying to orientate my thoughts. When I realized what was causing the wind...

Demons springing towards us from the trees... The names of angels were summoned and blades lit up like small lanterns on a graveyard... wrong metaphor and yet so accurate as it seemed. As my gaze was glued upon the horror scene before a demon crushed to us. I reflexively dodged to the ground away and released the whip from my wrist hitting it with electricity it was enough time for someone to cut it in half. I didn't know whether it was Math or James. I had no time as I noticed one towards my sister and I run to her place. "Luce just like in training..." I exclaimed and I with whip of my wrist the leash was around the demon I kept it in place until she killed it. I was to congratulate her with my smile wide. However the scream that was heard afterwards erased it in seconds.

Barbara... I turned around with a quick scan to see Oliver as a rugdoll being thrown away as the demon had its jaws around her leg, I didn't think much of it, I simply sprinted there, it was a reflex as with a stern hit of the whip to the ground turned it into a tall bo staff the wings were sharp on the edges I saw people to the spot, helping Oliver so with a hit I unclutched the demon from her leg. Witnessing all that blood on her for a second and I went a pale forgetting the demon who returned and charged at me, managing to deactivate my whip to the ground. I raised my skirt and took out a blade...

" Ezekiel..." I yelled loudly and as it charged and tried to cut in two. I missed my bow and arrow... this is what I was trained with. The demon dodged and I fell to the ground as I was crawling backwards, behind me the water as a dagger came and stabbed it. I looked left and it was Anna. I took it and stabbed it again and again until it became dust and shadows... I crawled back to Barbara. It had been less than a minute since she had screamed, it felt an eternity.

Once I returned I saw Barbara on the ground. I run back there and cut my skirt, it cut too easy all of a sudden, I don't know why I noticed that. I tied it above the wound and she started bleeding more on me. There must be poison on Piers... so that's the first thing to prevent an infection. Thomas soon came and clutched her body in his arms. "Add iratze... if theres poison it - it umm.. it will be gone..." I found my words as Thomas did.

"It tries to function" He spoke and I stood up, my surroundings felt hollow. It felt as if another episode was coming, I walked towards the lake. I looked down and my dress was black, and red. Blood and demon poison, and so were my hand. My breath hitched and it felt like I was being called. My name echoing between the shrieks of agony, my name echoing amongst others but I couldn't turn back, it felt more than my own powers. It felt familiar... Whatever it was... The lake was a step away and I took the step. The cold water was all around me but I was in the infirmary of the institute.

"Oliver... stay with us!" I heard his father yell, I was standing at the door. Uncle Gideon was over him drawing iratzes and so was my dad.

"He is gone..." My father announced and said the latin words as aunt Sophie cried louder above Barbara's body. She looked paler than a vampire and that broke my heart. Suddenly my dad looked at me, as if he could see me when no one else seemed to notice my presence.

"I missed my family." He said before I felt something push me backwards. It was painful as if someone was pressing so hard against my chest until I coughed.