Mommy?

Diane's pov
I've been pacing in the waiting room for a good hour now—well, nothing about it is 'good' obviously. They took her back almost as soon as we got here and in the bright lighting, I caught a glimpse of how bad it really was. Her wrist was red and swollen, which is why I'm even more worried as they haven't even bothered to update me.

As I'm turning around to restart the line I'm following, I hear the automatic door swoosh open. My head darts up as I hear shoes clicking, thinking it's a doctor, but I begin to panic as I see who it is. Cate. She rushes in, spotting me instantly, and heads my way. I'm terrified of what she'll say or do because now it's obvious she got hurt while with me.

"What happened?" she asks firmly and for a second my mouth just moves but I can't form words. "S-she—well the window was closed a-and we were on the roof. She climbed down to umm... to unlock it and she fell u-up the stairs. I'm so so sorry I-I didn't mean for her to get hurt I even insisted that I do it but she-" her hand comes up which stops me from speaking and I practically hold my breath as I wait for her.

She sighs deeply, placing one hand on her hip and the other over her face; dragging it over as she inhales. "That girl is the clumsiest person I know" she chuckles humorlessly and I sigh in relief, I could've sworn she was going to shout at me—even if only a little bit. I couldn't blame her if she had, I deserve it.

"That's why we live in a one story—she never watches her step, I swear" she continues but it doesn't really ease my nerves at all. I feel horrible. I'm older, I should've been the one to go down instead of Edith. "And don't feel bad about this, it's not your fault—it was an accident" I hear the blonde say and I just shake my head.

"It should've been me" I whisper, "listen to me. Edie may be... shy at times but that girl has the will of a fighter bull—not to mention how much she cares for people. She would've never let you do it yourself; especially if she caused the situation" Cate states firmly as she places her hands on my shoulder.

Before I can respond, I hear footsteps and I turn my attention to see the doctor. "Miss Blanchett?" Cate turns and the doctor smiles politely, glancing towards me. "Edith will be fine. She did slightly fracture her wrist but it's nothing that won't be fixed in a few weeks or so. She should follow up with her primary but we've taken x-rays and given her a cast to keep the bones steady" he says.

I don't hear much of what he says after that as I zone in and out; something about meds and rest. I can't stop thinking about how she got hurt with me so close. On top of that, all I could think about was myself and how I felt the entire time. I neglected her when she needed me. "You can see her now, she's awake and she'll be discharged soon" he says before walking off and I just stand there.

"Aren't you coming?" Cate asks me and I shake my head, "I umm... I have to go" I mumble. She nods understandingly and tells me to drive safe. I slowly walk to the car and I just sit there for a while before even cranking it up. I drive home with tears in my eyes, worrying about Edith and wishing I'd have stayed...

two hours later

I flip over in bed, I've been trying my best to sleep but my anxiety is still on high. My mind hasn't left her for a second and it's killing me. My phone buzzes and lights up but I wait for a second to reach for it. The light shutting off reminds me that I have yet to grab it, so I do. When I see I've gotten a message from Edith, I immediately open it and click on it.

Hey

Hi...

You weren't there when I got out 🥲

I know. I'm sorry I just... I figured you wouldn't want to see me

Why would you think that??