Happy Anniversary

Diane and I have been together for a while, today marks 3 years actually and things have been better than I could've imagined. I think we both helped each other in terms of our anxiety and we've even moved in together. Tonight she's said there's something special she has to celebrate our anniversary but she hasn't told me what it is.

I told her I had to work and would be home before dinner but it was a little white lie. Instead I came over to my mom's, mostly because it's been a while since I've seen her; she's been away for her job. She has a production company and directs every now and then too. Anyways, that's obviously not the only reason I wanted to see her.

I really want to propose to Diane tonight and I've told my mom about it. I let her know I have no idea how to do it or when but then this anniversary came up. I figured it might be the perfect time to pop the question. "I still can't believe you don't live with me anymore and now you're going to be getting married... you're all grown up" mom says with tears in her eyes and I chuckle.

"That's if she says yes—if not then your dream might come true of me living with you again too" I tease and she nudges me, "don't say that! Of course she's going to accept" she insists. Truth be told, I don't think Diane will reject me, I'm just incredibly nervous about tonight in general. I don't know what she has planned and I'm excited but scared.

Part of our relationship is that we take each other out our comfort zones. The brunette knows how nervous I get when I'm unsure of specific plans and times but I trust her. "You're right... I'm still nervous though" I mumble, "it's natural to feel that way, sweetie. Just know that I'm here for you, rooting you on" a kiss is placed on my temple and I close my eyes as I lean into it.

"Always my number one fan" I sigh happily, "no matter what" she whispers as she squeezes my hand. "Now it's about time you go get your girl, isn't it?" she asks, I look at my phone and see that she's right. I stand up and sigh, "you've got this! And make sure to call me right after—well maybe not right after" she smirks and I groan in embarrassment.

"I'm kidding! Now shoo, you're not the only one that has a date" she chuckles, "excuse me?! Who is this mysterious guy or gal?" I ask as I sit back down. "Get up, come on, out my house" she nudges me towards the door but I stop as she opens it, "come on, I'm your daughter..." I remind her. "Oh hey, Edith" I turn around and see Sandra, I turn back to mom and smirk.

"Well hi there" I smile widely as she walks past me to greet my mom, "hey, Catie" placing a kiss on her cheek which makes her blush. "Bye, Catie" I tease and she scoffs while rolling her eyes, leaning forward to place a kiss on my cheek but I step away. "I don't know where that mouth has been" I say, "you came out my vagina, you've had worse things on your face than someone else's saliva" she quips.

"I definitely wasn't talking about kissing but-" "Edith" she says sternly and I giggle. "Let me kiss you or else" she warns, "fine" I whine funnily. "Now I'll have to wash my face" I grimace, she narrows her eyes before softly closing the door and I cackle.

later at home (for dinner)

"Sooo where'd you really go?" she asks and I raise my eyebrows as I take a sip of wine. "Today" she adds and I swallow nervously, "as in..." I prompt. "As in... I know you didn't go to work" she smirks and my eyes widen. "You do realize I know exactly what time you leave and also you never wear that perfume to work" she points out, "today is a special day" I counter and she just narrows her eyes.

"Ok... I went to see my mom" I confess, "and you couldn't tell me that because..." I simply shrug in response. "I wanted to see her and... I had to talk to her. I didn't want you to think I preferred to spend time with her, than being with you today" I say which isn't a lie. "Fair enough. What did you need to talk to her about?" she asks curiously as she takes a sip of her wine, "if you finally give me my present... then I'll tell you" I smirk.

She's had this gift bag all night and has told me she'll give it to me when dinner is over. "Touché" she sighs, handing the bag to me and I bounce in my seat as I take it. I pull the handles and peel back the tissue paper to reveal a little book, it seems to be a journal. I glance up at her curiously when I see it's a calendar. "If this is your way of telling me I need to be more organized..." "open it" she instructs and I sigh.

I open it and something falls out, I reach into my lap and set the journal on the table. They look like plane tickets... to Japan. I quickly look up at her and she smiles widely at me, "no way..." I whisper. I see that the date for take off is in two weeks and I gasp. "Diane..." I mumble with tears in my eyes, "I know how much you love sushi so I figured... where better to take you?" she smirks.

"Oh gosh... I can't cry" I say as I quickly dab the corners of my eyes. "I'm glad you like it" she says with a little blush on her cheeks. She reaches forward and goes a few months ahead, my birthday is circled in blue for my favorite color and hers is in green. "I won't tell you the destinations yet but I'm already planning" she grins. "Of course we'll be here for your birthday so Cate can be with us but after that... it's just the two of us" she whispers and I smile goofily.

"Ok ok since we have gifts I have this for you..." I pull a box from under the table that I stashed on an extra seat earlier and her eyes light up. She takes it gently from my hands and quickly opens it, pulling out a green sweater I made for her. "I actually started it when we first met and I realized it was a bit big on me; which was weird because I always make them the right size" I think aloud.

"And I finished it and it just sat in my closet for a long time—I didn't have the heart to throw it away. Then, of course, I learned your size and... at some point I realized it was a perfect fit for you—just like you are for me. When I moved in after that first year, I thought of giving it to you but something told me to hold onto it a little longer..." I mumble and she clutches it to her chest as tears fill her eyes.

"I don't know why I waited so long but I guess I wanted things to come full circle" I whisper nervously, holding the little box tightly that I've been fiddling with in my pocket the whole night. I push back my chair and her eyes follow me as I get on my knees. Her eyes widen as I open the box and her breath hitches as her eyes focus on the ring.

"From that first day I met you, I think I knew you would become an important part of my life. As I worked on that sweater, you wove your way into my heart. I can now say that I can't imagine my life without you, in fact, I don't want to. I may have made this gift but your hands did the real work, every touch making me trust you and love you more each and every day" we're both crying at this point and she takes my free hand to squeeze it.

"Diane Baronway... will you marry me?" I ask softly and she nods without hesitation, "of course I will" she whispers. I slip the ring on her finger and smile like the happiest dork alive which makes her giggle. She rests the sweater on the chair beside her and pulls me up into her lap, placing a passionate kiss on my lips.

"I love you so much" she mumbles against my lips, "I love you too" I whisper happily. "I'm gonna be your wife" she sighs, "and I'll be yours" I giggle. "I want you to know that you saved me... from myself. I never thought I could be loved like this, that I would find someone like you. Thank you for loving me and allowing me the great pleasure to love you" she whispers and all I can do is kiss her, overwhelmed with emotion.

"Now, you've been good for me..." She whispers as her grip on my waist tightens and I nod while staring intently into her eyes. "I have one more gift for my good little girl upstairs" she smirks and I bite my lip in excitement. "What do you say I give it to you? But only if you can promise me something..." she prompts, "anything for you mommy" I answer submissively.

"You'll be nice and loud for mommy, right? Let me know just how good I make my princess feel" she murmurs as she kisses my neck and I giggle. "I promise, mommy" I sigh contently, "I want you on the bed, legs spread, I won't leave you waiting long" she whispers before tapping my thigh and I take off like a torpedo up the stairs; hearing her chuckling behind me.

Let me tell you: Best. Anniversary. Ever. I've never felt more loved and cherished than when I'm with Diane, especially in that way. Not only does she know all the right things to do and say but she also pushes my buttons just right if you know what I mean. I can't think of a better person to spend the rest of my life with.

The End