Arn: The Hand of Guidance

I recall the War of Citadel. It was the first time my parents had left me for longer than a day. I was embrazened to explore the city above the Underworld. I knew the fae didn't particularly like those of us who dwelled beneath the ground; I could tell from when we had visited. This did not restrain me today of all days.

I found the sky to be a deep purple. No fae wandered the streets but me. I found a bar that was still open. I saw a few living souls within and decided to go in myself. I sat at the bar and waited for the tender to come by.

A glass full of a golden liquid was set in front of me. I glanced at the bartender, who pointed to a boy a few stools from me.

"Gift from the gentleman," he moved on.

I picked it up. I was sixteen. This was Nectar. Was that allowed? The boy raised his glass towards me. I did the same before drinking some down. It scorched its way down to my stomach.

"You looked like you could use it," the boy stood up, moving closer to me.

"Did I?" I tried to seem coy.

"Damn," he sat down next to me. "Your voice is hot. I'm glad I talked to you."

"Thank you," I said.

"The world is ending outside," he shrugged. "I figured there was no point in holding back about drinking with a stranger."

"Then let's not be strangers," I held out a hand. "I'm Arn."

"Named after the god, I suppose," he grinned. "I'm Juno."

"So the world is ending, huh?"

"Did you see the sky?"

"Doesn't mean it's ending."

"Sure feels like it is."

"I'm trying to have hope that everything will clear," I lied. I knew it would. My parents were there, and they couldn't die, so the battle could wage for years, but we'd end up victorious.

"I'm trying to enjoy my last day," he clinked his glass against mine. "Drink."

I did. I didn't feel forced. It just felt polite.

"Why aren't you working today, Juno?" The bartender wandered by.

"Place closed since the world's ending."

"I don't think Bartram needed much of an excuse."

"Hey, I'll take it."

"What do you do for work?" I asked.

"Polish stones," Juno held out a hand. "It's given me mad calluses."

I touched his hand. The skin was rough and hard-worked.

"I started apprenticing when I was sixteen, and after a year, I was hired. Been working there for two years since."

So he was older than me. That was interesting. Juno moved his hand against mine, gently stroking my fingers with his. It was appalling, so small and intimate. I'd never been touched by a fae like this. It stirred my stomach into knots.

"Your skin is so soft," Juno smiled. "I was afraid since you're one of those dead things from under the ground, but man, I'm just more intrigued by you every moment."

"I'm not dead," I corrected. "I'm a pixie, just like you."

"Well," he sat up. "I am respectfully scared of the necromancers."

"Can't blame you," I grinned at my joke. "I'm also scared of them."

"Arn," he leaned in. "Want to come back to my place with me?"