chapter 6

"Let's go to the meat section first," I suggest as we enter the grocery store. Everytime I'm doing grocery, I always go to the farthest section which is the meat up to the nearest to the cashier para dere-deretso na.

We left his company around four in the afternoon, and as he said, we stopped by a grocery store nearby. Good thing I brought masks, so we don't have to buy one.

Nicholai is the one pushing the cart; he followed closely behind me, maneuvering the cart with careful precision. The store was packed with people, but he had a knack for navigating through the crowd without causing any chaos. His eyes were always on me, ensuring that he was never too far away.

I was leading the way, strolling down each aisle with a purpose. I had a mental checklist of what we needed—the essentials, the must-haves, and the occasional indulgences. 

Even though Nicholai trusted my judgment and let me take the reins, he still checks the meat that I am getting before placing it in the cart.

"Should we get drumsticks?" I asked him.

He nodded. "For tonight's dinner," said Aniya.

"You'll cook?" I asked. "We'll get those drumsticks, kuya," I said to the person in charge in the meat section, and he quickly obliged and weighed them.

"You already cook for breakfast and lunch, so it's my turn to cook for you now," said Aniya.

Ofcourse, I will cook for you. Wife duty, duh!

I wanted to say that to him but refuses to do so. Baka mawala lang siya sa mood at bumalik sa paisa-isa niyang sagutan saakin!

"Aren't you tired?" I asked.

"No." He simply replied, getting the meat that we bought and placing it in the cart.

After that, we made our way towards the vegetable section, where a kaleidoscope of greens greeted us. The leafy greens, like emerald jewels, were stacked neatly in crates, exuding a sense of freshness and vitality. I reached out to touch the crisp leaves of lettuce, imagining the crunch it would add to a refreshing salad.

Next to the lettuce, a variety of vibrant bell peppers awaited my selection. The red, green, and yellow peppers seemed to glow with a natural radiance. Lai carefully inspected each one, feeling their firmness.

Moving along, I went to the fruit section, which is next to the vegetables. I let Lai pick the vegetable since he is more expert than me.

"Miss Kiara?" Someone suddenly said kaya't napa angat ako ng tingin sa kung sino man iyon.

When I lifted my head, I saw the sales lady with her mouth open. I smiled awkwardly and when she was about to scream my name, I stopped her.

"Shh, please don't let anyone know that I'm here." I whispered.

"Hala, sorry po. Nabigla lang kasi ako. Naku.. matagal na kitang gustong ma meet!" dere-deretsong sabi nito. "Uhm.. may napili na ho ba kayong prutas, ma'am?" she acted because some of her workmates passed by our direction.

"Bago ba 'to?" I asked, pointing out to the apples.

"Yes, ma'am. Bagong dating lang po ang mga 'yan kanina" aniya na nakangiti parin.

"Okay, I'll take those" sabi ko sa kaniya.

"Wala po kayong basket, ma'am? Sandali at kukuhaan ko po__"

I cut her off. "No need, I'm with a uhmm a friend, yes. Papasabay ko nalang sa basket niya." She offered to help me but I refuses her offer and just thank her. We did a little conversation while she's helping me pick some other fruits at nang matapos ay nag paalam na ako rito.