Chapter 20: 100K

"Tell me how about the experiments?" Arriving at the institute, Orion immediately asked.

  Toby: "The experiment was very successful, stacking two layers of graphene on top of each other, when the angle of turn is close to 1.1° and the temperature reaches 1.7K, they show unconventional superconductivity. Based on input from the research team over there, we named this angle the 'magic angle'."

  Orion's eyebrows raised in interest, "Very imaginative name."

  "Yes, imaginative, and the result of this research is as imaginative as its name," Toby said with a smile, "Compared to metallic superconducting materials such as copper oxides, whose structures are difficult to adjust, carbon nanomaterials have a higher degree of structural plasticity, and that means endless possibilities."

  Orion chuckled, "It also means thousands of sets of experiments?"

  Toby said helplessly, "Experiments are necessary no matter what."

  In the field of superconductivity, "room temperature" is higher than "high temperature". The latter is 77K (about -196 degrees Celsius), while the former must be at least 273K.

  In comparison, 1.7K is not good, and is even much worse than the Tc=35K of lanthanum-barium-copper oxides. It's even farther from the black tech in some labs with Tc > 100K.

  However, if a technology is simply considered "useless" because it cannot be industrialised, then the understanding of science is too superficial. It is no exaggeration to say that 99% of research results are useless. But without the accumulation of the 99%, the last 1% of breakthroughs would not be possible.

  After briefly introducing the results of the experiment, Toby continued to talk about the next plan.

  "...... Our next goal is to find an appropriate method to raise the superconducting temperature of graphene materials to 77 K. Of course, this is a long-term goal, and I'm afraid it's hard to achieve for a short period of time."

  Orion thought for a moment and spoke. "The goal of 77K is too conservative, we can just set it at 100K."

  The system had said that 100K was achievable, and it would be a pity not to utilise this clue.

  Making a helpless expression at Orion's optimism, Toby continued. "OK, whether it's 77K or 100K, it now comes down to the point that if this superconducting material can be made possible, this technology will have some industrial applications ...... Whether or not anyone is interested in this technology, it will generate patents. "

  Toby didn't continue with the latter words, but the meaning was clear enough. Once the issue of patents is involved, collaborative research is often not so pure.

  After a few moments of silence, Orion spoke up and asked.

  "What is Professor Herrero's opinion?"

  Toby: "According to the rumours I heard when I was a postdoc at MIT, Professor Herrero is a pure scientist. He rarely competes with his students for experimental results, and is even happy to train those he thinks have potential."

  Orion: "What do you mean?"

  Toby shrugged, "Most likely he would think that this technology should be used equally by all."

  Like at home, there existed the kind of professors abroad who were not so keen on doing patent protection, but simply doing research. Most of their funding comes from a variety of state-sponsored research grants, not from corporations. Under the condition that professors' salaries can already cover their living expenses, they are not particularly keen on turning their research results into patents.

  After pondering for a moment, Orion spoke up.

  "If I'm willing to take out ten million US dollars in research funding, I believe he will reconsider this issue."

  Hearing ten million dollars, Toby froze.

  Indeed, ten million dollars was a figure that could not be refused. At least as far as the United States was concerned, even for Nobel Prize level scholars, it was definitely not an easy thing to apply for this amount of funding from a research fund.

  Toby asked, "Is it worth it?"

  Even if the 100K superconducting material was really developed, it would most likely not be sold at this price. After all, superconducting materials are not like battery materials that have unlimited market application prospects and are irreplaceable.

  Orion shook his head: "Whether it's worth it or not, I need this technology, and I also need the relevant patents, as for why, I will tell you later. As for now, you just need to remember that we have to make it even if we lose money."

  Toby nodded, "Okay ...... what if he still doesn't agree?"

  Orion: "Twenty million then."

  Toby: "......"

  He had almost forgotten that his boss was a rich man.

  After a pause, Orion continued, "My bottom line is $20 million, and if his answer is still no, we'll have to do the research on our own, or find another team willing to work together ...... I'll leave the negotiation up to you."

  Toby nodded and said seriously, "I will deliver your meaning correctly."

  Looking at Toby, Orion nodded in satisfaction.

  At this time, he suddenly remembered something and spoke.

  "Right, speaking of money, before I came back, I think I said that I would give out year-end bonuses."

  As soon as he heard this, a smile appeared on Toby's face, "Boss, finally I've waited for you to say this, if you don't mention it again, I'm going to ask."

  Including the other few researchers in the lab, they all perked up their ears to listen, after all, when it comes to how much money will be paid out for the New Year, there's no one who isn't curious.

  "You guys work so hard every day," Orion cleared his throat and said with a smile, "I'll make sure that we all have a New Year full of surprises."

  Toby chuckled, "Boss, can you spoiler how much the bonus is? Just a rough number will do."

  Orion thought for a moment, "Seven figures for sure."

  Toby instantly froze, his boss's generosity still exceeded his expectations.

  Seven ......

  Seven figures? At least a million or so?

  What Orion wanted was an efficient research team with a lot of experience, good teamwork, and an international perspective. The experience of the talents could be accumulated in the subject matter, and to retain the talents, it was ultimately the packages that counted. Orion thought that since he had earned so much money, and couldn't spend it all by himself anyway, he might as well give his researchers some welfare.

  After all, scientific research is not a one-man job, especially the birth of the HCS-2 material, in addition to his own mathematical model, they also have a lot of credit.

  On the Gordon Institute for Computational Materials, Orion intends to set aside $3 million as a bonus pool, which will be paid out based on contributions to papers published and overall performance. Not only Gordon Institute for Computational Materials, but also Sarote Labs, he will put aside a few million dollars to pay out bonuses according to the same principle.