ᴛᴏᴜɢʜ ʟᴜᴄᴋ

Summary: Mick was having a very bad season driving for Haas, feeling the pressure of living up to his name more than ever? Will he be able to cope with the stress?

Words: 1.1k+

♡♡♡♡♡

"Love?" you called out through the hotel room the moment you walked through the door.

You had been out for the afternoon with Kika, Pierre's girlfriend, and only just got back to yours and Mick's room, but he seemed nowhere to be found.

The door to the bathroom was shut, but you could see light coming from under the door. You sighed, knowing that the bathroom housed your over-worked boyfriend.

You put your hand on the door, resting your forehead against it for a minute as you processed how you should handle the situation.

"Baby?" you called out softly, knocking quietly on the door.

"I'm not here" you could barely hear his voice through the door, but it still made you smile a little.

"Baby, you know I'm not going to go away. Can you please let me in?" you listened for any movement from the other side of the door, but there was none.

You sighed, deciding you would just wait for him to change his mind by taking a seat next to the bathroom door.

Not even 2 minutes later, the lock on the door opened, making you quickly scramble to your feet. You cautiously opened the door and saw your boyfriend on the floor next to the bath tub, holding his head in his hands and breathing deeply.

You didn't say anything, you just silently walked over and took a seat next to him, bringing your knees to your chest.

Minutes went by before either of you spoke, not wanting to break the silence and come face to face with the realities of the situation.

"I'm tired of everything" his voice said, breaking the silence that had settled in the small hotel bathroom.

"Tired of what, baby?" your voice was soft, taking his hand and holding it close to your heart.

"The pressure, it's too much. I'm nowhere near where I thought I was going to be by this time, I can't seem to get a grip on the car and I can't even finish a race in the points. What does that make me if not a failure?" his voice sounded so broken, so hopeless in the face of the stress and pressure Formula 1 brought into his life.

"It makes you a human being, baby. A couple of bad races don't define who you are or your abilities as a driver. You're putting too much pressure on your shoulders trying to live up to expectations" you knew trying to comfort him would be in vain, nothing you would say could make him change his mind in that moment.

"You know very well that people judge me more harshly than someone else because of my last name. I can't let my family and my father's legacy down just because I suck and can't seem to be able to drive a freaking car" you could feel him getting frustrated, which is why you brought your hand to the back of his neck and slowly started rubbing it, knowing how much he enjoyed the feeling.

"I know you don't believe me right now, but you're so insanely talented. You wouldn't have got here if you weren't. You have to believe in yourself and give your best on the track, the results will come in due time, baby" you whispered, trying to reassure both yourself and him at the same time.

He sighed, but slowly nodded his head.

He knew that he was good, he had to be good in order to get to drive in Formula 1. He had to be one of the best.

But then why didn't he feel like that?

Why did he have such a gnawing feeling that he was an absolute mess? That he didn't even know what he was doing?

"I'm such a mess" he complained, but then started giggling.

You started laughing with him. feeling the pressure in the air slowly start to dissipate.

"We both are" you said once you both calmed down, letting out a big breath.

"I don't deserve you" he whispered, looking deep into your eyes and feeling his heart swell in his chest.

"Stop saying that. You deserve me and everything that you have in this life. Please don't think that you're anything but perfect in my eyes, I hate it when you talk about yourself like this" you pleaded, wrapping your arms around his shoulders in a tight hug.

Mick sighed once he was in your arms, the feeling of your warmth and affection spreading through his veins.

"Do you think I'll ever be as good as my dad?" he whispered, asking the question that had been plaguing his mind since he became a racing driver.

"You don't have to be as good as him. You just need to be you, because you're unique and your talent is one of a kind. You have to make a name for yourself, and you're gonna get there. The beginning is always the hardest part, but we'll make it through. Together"

Mick nodded, deciding that for once, he wouldn't argue with it. He would take it one step at a time.

He was gonna be okay. He had to believe that.

♡♡♡♡♡

Points in F1.

A dream come true for Mick.

He couldn't really believe it, not until he was out of the car and saw his entire team celebrating his points, along with you right at the back of the crowd.

After the team congratulated Mick, he made his way over to you, taking you in his arms and twirling you around.

"I did it" he said, letting out a laugh which prompted you to erupt into a fit of giggles.

You couldn't put into words what you felt in those moments. Everything that Mick had been working for, the years spent preparing for this moment, for his chance to prove to the world that he was talented and not just because of his last name.

"I'm so proud of you" you exclaimed once he had put you down, your eyes filling with tears.

He kissed you in that moment like he had never before, like you were a breath of fresh air. He poured every single feeling for you in that kiss, like he would never get to kiss you again.

"I couldn't have done this without you. I love you so freaking much" he confessed after you both pulled away, holding your face in his hands.

"I love you more"