ɪ ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ᴋɴᴏᴡ ᴡʜᴀᴛ ᴛᴏ ᴅᴏ

Summary: After the news broke out that Carlos wouldn't be extending his contract with Ferrari, it leaves you both wondering what was in store for the driver in the future, if anything at all.

Words: 1.5k+

♡♡♡♡♡

Nobody prepares you for the moment when your life is going to change.

There are no warnings, no signs to say "Watch Out! Your life is about to go to hell!". There is no such thing.

You were on vacation with your fiancé, everything was going smoothly before he had to begin training for the start of the season.

Relaxing on the beach, soaking up the sun and basking in each other's presence for a couple of more weeks before the chaos would resume.

But you didn't expect your serenity to be completely blown out of the park with only one phone call.

You hadn't thought anything of it when Carlos' manager called him, having been receiving a lot of phone calls as the start of the season grew nearer and nearer. But seeing Carlos' face as he listened was the first sign that something was definitely wrong.

It wasn't until he ended the call that you really got a good look at him, at how pale he was and how lost his eyes were. His face held no emotion, his body rigid and his movements almost robotic.

"Amor? What's wrong?" you took careful steps towards him, not wanting to freak him out or scare him out of his state.

He didn't respond at first, staring at the floor and seemingly not even hearing what you were saying. He was somewhere deep in thought, not even acknowledging your presence next to him.

It worried you, the way he was staring off into space, a lost look in his eyes telling you more about his problem than he needed.

"They're replacing me with Hamilton" you would have missed it if you hadn't been so close to him on the bed.

At first, you thought you hadn't heard him right. Replacing him with Lewis? Ferrari? That was not possible. Contract negotiations, to be fair, had not been going as well as you guys would have liked, but Carlos had been making progress about his contract for next season.

He had been almost confident about re-signing for another 2 years, minimum.

And yet, now everything seemed like it was for nothing. The call he had just received made his entire world crash down on top of his head, making him feel like he was drowning and there was no way out, your voice calling out to him somewhere far away, out of reach.

"Carlos, baby, I need you to talk to me" you spoke to him softly, trying to coax him out of the state he had been in for the past maybe 10 minutes.

Time seemed to stand still for Carlos, but this time, he heard you. He slowly started blinking, his surroundings coming into clear view once again. The first thing he focused on was the tight hold you had on his hand, the way your soft skin contrasted his rough ones.

Your touch, ever so gentle, lulling him back to reality.

"How could they do this to me? After everything I've done for this team, how can they replace me like that?" he questioned, not even knowing if he wanted an answer to his questions.

He was confused, hurt, disappointed, surprised. He didn't know which of these feelings was more intense.

Your heart broke upon hearing the broken tone in his voice. You couldn't even comprehend what he was saying, how it was possible that the team just stabbed him in the back like that, completely blindsiding him when they had just started figuring out the renewal of his contract.