-ᴛʀᴀɢᴇᴅʏ

chapter 1.) tragedy

"Well, aren't you just perfectly cheerful this morning?"

"Please, for the sake of my sanity, do close your mouth."

***

a/n: haha yeah sorry for this one guys😅😅

—————

Alastor had slept surprisingly well that morning, waking up feeling genuinely refreshed, which, to be entirely honest, wasn't a common occurrence. He was quick to sit up on the bed, taking a moment to stretch. Glancing out the window, he saw the sun had barely risen, the skies still dark as the night began to fade away.

What had woken him up was the fact that Reina appeared to be waking up as well—and she clearly wasn't doing so good.

She had her face buried in his side, mumbling to herself about what he assumed was a headache. Alastor chuckled softly, reaching up and gently rubbing the back of her head with his hand.

"Are you alright?" he asked, attempting to keep the volume of his voice to a minimum as to not cause his wife anymore discomfort.

"I hate everything," Reina grumbled, her eyes still squeezed tightly shut. "Why the hell does my head hurt like this...?"

Alastor couldn't help but laugh at that, for multiple reasons. He knew that Reina never really swore, minor phrases here and there when she was serious—like the situation they were in currently—but it just solidified his earlier thoughts, that she was in genuine pain. But as much as that hurt him, he found it more amusing than anything else that his wife had been so blackout drunk that she didn't even remember the reason for such skull-splitting agony.

"That's a story for another time, love," he murmured gently, still cradling the back of her head in his hands. "Let's just say alcohol is not exactly the best for you."

He felt Reina tense at his words, his wife letting out an irritated groan as she forced herself to sit up. "I'm going to absolutely murder Maeve."

Alastor chuckled quietly at her agitated expression, smile softening as he glanced at her. Waking up to his wife at his side, whether she was in a good mood or not, he wanted to do that every day for the rest of his life. He would've been content to spend the rest of eternity holding her, but they did have things to do that day.

"We can do that later," Alastor joked lightly, swinging his legs off the bed so he could stand up. "But we have plans today, darling! Let's get a move on!"

"Only if you promise to quiet down."

"Hah! No."

***

Alastor knew there was bound to be some arguments between the twins—after all, if he was Reina, he would've been annoyed as well. He was a little hesitant to walk down the stairs to the kitchen, but pushed those nonsensical feelings away and walked downstairs. He could already hear the two exchanging words, Maeve being much more casual and bantering than her sister at the moment.

"Such an aggressive greeting!" Maeve exclaimed mockingly, leaning back against the kitchen counter. "What ever happened to 'good morning?'"