-ᴀꜱꜱɪꜱᴛᴀɴᴄᴇ

chapter 4.) assistance

"Y'know, you never really answered my question from before."

"And what would that have been, my dear?"

"Who are you?"

—————

Alastor wasn't entirely sure of his shadow's whereabouts anymore—sure, he could summon it back to his side once more, but that would've defeated the entire purpose of him sending it out into the streets of Hell in the first place. So he let its location remain a mystery for now, deciding to return to such thoughts later in the day.

He was currently just minding his own business, sipping coffee on one of the hotel's balconies. As of late, he'd found himself in such a location quite often; it was peaceful, to an extent, a type of temporary serenity to distract him from the events currently happening. He took a final sip, the cup now empty, as he prepared to set it down onto a nearby table.

Alastor nearly dropped the mug when his shadow appeared in his vision in a sudden manner, waving its hands around with panicked little noises escaping past its non-existent lips.

"What is it?" he hissed out, slightly unnerved by the sudden interruption.

The information that was relayed made him drop the mug, smile twisting into an infuriated snarl; the sound of the cup shattering hadn't even fazed him, the demon far too focused on mentally planning the gruesome demise of a certain group of individuals.

He had nearly lost it all—but he wouldn't allow some walking bag of bolts take away the one thing that truly mattered to him in the desolate wasteland he referred to as a home. Not a chance was he going to allow that to happen.

To hell with it all—I suppose it's time to take a little field trip.

***

Save for the little shadow's momentary appearance, Reina had been alone for a seemingly imperceivable amount of time. She had been left alone, her only option for passing the time being to scour the room for any possible item that could be used as an assistance to her escape.

The desk in the corner of the room, the one that had seemingly been so oddly placed without a real purpose, that looked as if it had been Reina's only option when it came to searching the otherwise barren basement.

"There's gotta be something in here..." Reina muttered to herself, rummaging through the drawers. She had picked up the habit of talking to herself more often than not, in order to exercise her sore, scratchy throat.

She didn't know why it ached so fiercely; as if she had been screaming or something of similar instance for an extended period of time, and was feeling the effects of such an ordeal now, of all times. But every word she uttered stung to a certain degree, feeling the strain of an assumed overexertion that she couldn't even recall.

A sudden blur of black flashed across her vision, causing her to jump back with a startled yelp that rattled her already-aching limbs. Her gaze darted around the room in a panicked fashion, her tension ebbed away once she had realized it was the odd little shadow from before.

"Oh...hello again," she greeted, a soft smile plastered upon her face. "You did come back, after all."

The shadow's own grin seemed to widen at the sound of her voice, its silhouette pressed back against the wall beside her. With what Reina assumed was the shadow's equivalent of a silent giggle, it pointed somewhere behind her before disappearing once more.