chapter three - the memory

tw: mentions of drowning

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷ THIRD POV

Back at the cabin, Wanda is caught in a daze. Sitting on the floor besides her bed, her hand is mindlessly fiddling with the thin sheet draped across her bed. Lost in her thoughts of a house that was once a home of life and sound.

She looks at the bed that waits opposite hers. The bed is made, as if untouched for months. The blankets are tucked neatly and the pillows sit on top upright. The sun ray splashes indiscriminately across the entire room, brightening the yellow walls, and yet the bed stands empty, cold and lifeless. Wanda, deep in her memories, unknowingly directs herself closer to the bed. Her hand reaches for the bedsheet before retracting it, she struggles to get herself to touch the bed, or even just look at it for any longer.

Something takes her out of her muse. Not something. Someone.

"Lessons my darling." speaks the voice softly.

Bewildered, Wanda takes calculated steps in the direction of where the voice was coming from. She recognises the tenderness to the voice. The lightness to the tone, and the way the words flow out evenly.

In the living room, by the window which overlooks the woods, stands a tall figure. Her mother. She's holding a book, a lesson book. But she's wearing the same pale yellow dress, the one from that night, the night that haunts Wanda, and may just be haunting her right now, she thinks.

Natalya, wanda's mother, looks over her shoulder watching as her daughter stands and stares at her back. With a face full of concern, Natalya hastily walks to Wanda.

"moya devushka, what's the matter?" Natalya questions with worry in her tone.

"I don't know..." Wanda whispers back so quietly, it would have usually been so hard to hear, except the two of them reside alone in a deafening silence. Wanda's face is contorted with shock, her mouth agape, eyes wide open with tears threatening to spill. Her mother places one hand on Wanda's right cheek delicately, whilst the other caresses her hair with love.

"Oh my sweet child, are you having bad thoughts again?" She breathes out lightly, giving Wanda a sympathetic smile, to which Wanda responds with an apprehensive slow nod as tears shortly course down her cheeks.

"Oh my darling," Natalya brushes Wanda's hair back, both hands are now holding Wanda's face, as she wipes away the tears with her thumbs, "It's okay, it's okay my darling, it's all going to be okay."

Wanda struggles to believe her mother is actually in her presence. Her eyes are still wide, absorbing every little feature of her mother's face. From the discreet small scar beside her eyebrow, to the freckles that filter across the bridge of her nose, to the beauty spot that sits between her nose and upper lip on the right side of her face. Her mother brings her face closer to her own, touching their foreheads as Natalya feels Wanda's distress radiating off of her. She begins to hush Wanda to calm down her emotions, giving her a gentle kiss on her forehead, her lips lingering there for a second or two.

"Dorogoy, breathe in... and out..."

Wanda slowly accepts her mother's comfort, grasping onto the older pair of hands that hold her, she closes her eyes and follows her mother's breathing patterns.

"Sweet love, you are doing so well, just take a long breath..."

Wanda makes the mistake of opening her eyes. Before her, the yellow dress pressed against her mother's skin, her hair stiff and drenched, water dripping from the ends of strands. Her face soaked with salty water droplets, the hands that hold Wanda's face no longer cast the same heat, but rather a coldness. Wanda's eyes darted across Natalya's entire figure, now avoiding her mother's eyes, her hands trying to pull off Natalya's ones from her face. Her lips part and quiver as quick breaths escape them. She no longer feels the same serenity everytime she closes her eyes, the same dream. And the moment she opens them, the same nightmare, a reality she doesn't want to accept nor relive.

Natalya, still murmuring calming words, "Stay with me milyy, it's all okay..."

Wanda finally finds the courage to look up to her mother's eyes once again. They no longer hold the same tranquillity as it once did, she only imagines how her mother felt that night. In the lake.

"Shh.. my sweet love."

Natalya's face filled with fear, before finding peace as she takes her last breath, under water. Her face became purple, losing colour.

"Take a deep breath."

No longer struggling or fighting against the force of nature, she gives in, fading into the darkness of the lake. She is free. And yet she is selfish, Wanda thinks. For leaving her all alone, left to fend herself against the unknown enemies in the world.

"My darling girl, stay with me." Ironic.

But in desperate need of seeing her mother (as she wants) again. She squeezes her eyes shut, her frantic breath slows down. Her mother is here.

"We're nearly there my sweet girl. We are nearly there."

Wanda, trying to forget about the horror she had seen of her mother moments before, finally smiles. She closes the distance between her forehead and her mother's, keeping her face even closer to her mother's than earlier. Hands gripping onto her mother's hands, which hold Wanda's face even tighter.

"Breathe in moya lyubov... breathe out... breathe in... and breathe..."

❀。• *₊°。 ❀°。

My girl - moya devushka
Sweetheart - dorogoy
My love - moya lyubov
Darling - milyy

russian words used in place of sokovian.

finally seeing a part of wands' mother but also a reveal of her mental state. a shorter chapter bc the next part HAD to be separated from this

❛ ━━・❪ ❁ ❫ ・━━ ❜

thank you for choosing to read this!!!
have a beautiful day, you are all so loved<3
• . * • ° . 💌 🌷 🧸 • ° . * •