Chapter 1: May the Journey Begin!

The lights of Lumiose City shone brightly in the starlit night. Normally, not a soul would be awake or roaming the streets at night when all the stores and boutiques are closed. There's no reason for that, but the average college student is not one to be considered in the category that most people are in. For three of them to be roaming the streets of Lumiose City at such an hour, it must mean that they're taking a break from their assignments or they were just abruptly woken up by something. For those three students, it was the latter and they decided to investigate... in their pajamas.

Their Pokémon followed them closely, a Vulpix and a Venipede walked on the firm ground while the Skitty was snug in its trainer's arms. Skitty's trainer shook her head, "Guys, there's nothing, it was probably just a Fletchling that flew into our window, we should head back."

"Don't you want to see if it really was a Fletchling, Millie?"

The girl, Mildred, shook her head, "Not really and need I remind you, Leah, that not all of us have the privilege of having a free day on Fridays?"

Leah crossed her arms, "Oh alright, you two can return to the apartment if you want, I'll investigate a little more."

"I know how much this program means to you, but it's unsafe for us to do this at night like this." The boy held her in his embrace, "I also understand why you're doing this, but you don't need to prove anything to your teacher. Honestly, fuck that guy, not literally of course. This man doesn't know what he's talking about."

Leah laughed, "Yeah well he's still my teacher, Zayn, he has more experience than I have."

"Doesn't mean he's the brightest." Zayn intertwined his fingers with Leah's, "Come on, let's go to bed, I'm pretty sure you have an assignment to do."

"Unfortunately."

The couple returned home in comfortable silence with their hands intertwined. Their Vulpix and Venipede followed them closely behind. The following morning, the trio went to attend their classes. When Leah walked in the classroom, her teacher stared at her with so much venom in his eyes and there was a sneer contorting his features. The exit was seemingly more compelling to Leah than whatever the content of his lesson was. What she was surprised to see when she sat at her desk was Officer Jenny who had walked up to her with a kind smile. Leah finished preparing her notebook and pencils and greeted the older woman, "May I help you?"

"I've heard you were one of the students who had given a name to her partner Pokémon." Officer Jenny stated before sheepishly adding, "and the sneer your teacher has been giving you has certainly given that indication."

"Should I not have? I've had Mrs. Cuddletails since I was child." The Vulpix cooed in response upon hearing its name. Leah gave the Pokemon a pat on the head.

"Want to know a little secret?"

Leah shrugged, "Sure, let's hear it."

"As long as you do your duty as an officer, it doesn't matter if you've named your Pokémon or not." Officer Jenny chuckled, "Your teacher is a bit old school so don't take it to heart. Only you know what's best for your partner Pokémon."

"Thanks Officer Jenny." Leah smiled before tilting her head, "If I could ask, why are you visiting the class today?"

"I was called in to teach your class about the partner Pokémon that are commonly used in the field and the ones I recommend to have on your team for various tasks."

"Ooh! That sounds interesting!" Leah's Vulpix cooed in agreement. Officer Jenny smiled in response and returned to stand next to the teacher's desk as more students started flocking in.