Chapter 6: Training with a Lucario Duo

Leah and her friends were planning to head towards Camphrier Town so they could at the very least get there before nightfall, but a Lucario ran straight into them the moment they finished packing their stuff from their campsite. Lucarios aren’t Pokemon found in Versant Road and the only way to get one is to catch a Riolu in Détourner Way near Santalune City and evolving said Riolu. So unless this Lucario has been released by their trainer, it is likely that this Lucario has a trainer. Mrs. Cuddletails ran around Lucario and the aura Pokemon indulged the Vulpix. Leah approached Lucario and it seemed to have recognised her since it nodded to her in greeting, “Lucario, where’s-”

“Wait! Lucario!”

Leah recognised that voice, it was that of a friend she hadn’t seen since she moved to Lumiose City. The person approached them, her figure becoming more evident, “Hey Korrina!”

The blonde haired girl, clad in white and red clothes, stopped in front of them. Another Lucario stood next to her. Leah waved at her, although Korrina didn’t exactly shy away from hugging her. Leah awkwardly stood there, “Uh Rina, can you let me go? I can’t breathe.”

“Sorry, it’s been quiet without you around, even Grandpa finds it rather quiet.”

“I’m collecting gym badges, I’ll return to Shalour soon enough.”

Korrina smiled in response. The Lucario that ran towards them was staring at Mildred with mild curiosity, almost like something in her aura interested it. Korrina was holding Mrs. Cuddletails in her arms with a familiarity that came from growing up with the Vulpix and its trainer. Even Mildred noticed how at ease Mrs. Cuddletails was and this is a Vulpix that wants to fight nearly anything that moves. Korrina then turned to Mildred, “Ah sorry about Lucario. You aren’t hurt, aren’t you?”

Mildred shook her head, “Not even a scratch.”

“It dashed off while I was doing some special training with it, it must’ve sensed your aura and was drawn to it. I’m glad you weren’t hurt though.”

“I’m sure Leah would’ve stepped in if anything dire happened. I’m Mildred and my partner here is Lady Lemeow.”

“Nice to meet you, Mildred,” Korrina then gave the Skitty a pat on the head, “and you too Lady Lemeow.”

Korrina was about to turn heel and continue her training, but Leah decided to join her so that’s what they’re doing. Leah sent out Actias Luna and Primadonna, Zayn only had Níðhöggr and Mildred sent out Periwinkle. Leah, Zayn and Korrina were having their Pokémon spar with each other while Mildred had an entirely different idea of training. For the past few months that they've been living together, Leah had come to learn that Mildred had an interest for Pokémon Showcases so the latter's idea of training is more akin to practicing her routine for the Coumarine City Pokémon Showcase. The Lucario that ran up to them was performing with Mildred. Leah could see the hurt in Korrina's eyes while she observed her partner favor Mildred.

Korrina sighed and returned to focus on her training. Leah stopped having her Pokémon spar and turned to her friend, “Would a Pokémon battle cheer you up?”

“I guess.”

Actias Luna and Lucario took center stage. Leah's friends would’ve thought that she'd send in Mrs. Cuddletails, but she didn’t. She had opted for the bug type. Zayn knew that Spewpa was close to evolving, Leah was just giving it that push with this battle. Korrina's Lucario was much faster than Actias Luna, but Leah had incredible reflexes, “Actias Luna, use Stun Spore!”

The moment the Power-Up Punch came, Actias Luna released a bunch of spores causing Lucario to seize up. Its movements have been slowed down. Korrina called out a Bone Rush despite how Lucario seized up in paralysis. It summoned a pair of glowing blue bones and smacked the Spewpa upwards.

“Batter up!” Korrina laughed as Lucario used the second bone as a baseball bat, sending Actias Luna flying towards Leah. She bursted out laughing in response before checking on her Pokémon. The Spewpa took a minute or so to stand back up, convincing everyone that it has been defeated, but when it did stand back up, it started to glow in a blinding light. Its pupae form grew smaller in size, but wings had grown on its body.

A sudden gust of wind could be felt as Actias Luna's new form was revealed. Wings in hues of royal blue and white with the tips of the wings being a nice dark gray colour. This was the Polar Pattern of Vivillon. Everyone stared in awe at the bug type before them, but the battle must continue. Actias Luna didn't wait for Leah’s command to use Gust, which shouldn't have surprised its trainer as much as it did,  “You learned Gust? Awesome!”

The strong gust of wind that Actias Luna pushed Lucario towards a nearby tree. It didn’t take the hit well and thus was defeated. Korrina accepted her defeat with grace. When it came to battling each other, both of them were of equal strength, Leah simply had the luxury of using various types while Korrina, as a gym leader, didn't have such a luxury. Leah smiled, “feeling any better?”

Korrina shrugged, “A little.”

“With a flying type in my team, your gym will be a breeze!” Leah quipped.

“I would advise that you don't speak too soon, oh great and powerful Leah, I have plenty of time to catch up to your nonsense.”

Leah made an expression of dramatic hurt, “That hurts my feelings, Korrina.”

Zayn had been actually training when Leah and Korrina turned to observe Mildred's routine. Lucario had used Bone Rush to launch Lady Lemeow upwards and the little feline used Copy Cat to copy Mrs. Cuddletails's Ember in a way that looked like fireworks. Periwinkle used Fairy Wind to add more pop to it and the Skitty landed on Lucario's glowing, blue bone on a singular paw. Marking the end of the short performance. Mildred's small audience cheered. Leah smiled brightly, “With a performance like that, you're gonna win in no time!”

“Thanks Leah.”

“Leah's right, that was beautiful and very well done.” Korrina stated before realizing that she was supposed to be back to Shalour City at this time, “I have to go, Grandpa might start losing more hair if I don't return home soon.”

Leah nodded, “Tell him I said hi.”

“I will,” Korrina then waved to the group, “See you guys around!”

The sun had started to set. Leah and her friends weren’t far from Camphrier Town so they trekked all the way to the small town and stayed at the Pokémon center for the night.