What Mistake?

"Isobel, hey. I-"

"I know, my decision today was not an ideal one." Isobel said, looking up from her case file to Maggie.

"It wasn't. I don't feel good about it either." Maggie said.

"Well, it was my choice, my decision not to tell him. So, if anything, I should be the only one to lose sleep over it. Don't feel guilty over my choice. Your conscience should be clean." Isobel said. Maggie nodded her head and turned around. She walked towards the office before stopping in her tracks and turning back towards Isobel.

"Will you be joining us tonight?" Maggie asked. Isobel panicked for a split second before telling Maggie what she told Jubal.

"Uh... no. I will be at a Knicks game tonight." Isobel said. Maggie nodded her head and left Isobel's office. Maggie thought it was strange for Isobel to be going to a basketball game since she didn't seem like a sports kind of woman. She tried to force herself to shake it off and started to make her way towards her 2021 Toyota 4Runner SR5. She got in and most certainly couldn't shake off the feeling of Isobel lying about going to a Knicks game. So she texted Jubal, telling him she couldn't make it. She sat in her car and waited for Isobel to come out and leave. She did nearly 20 minutes later. Maggie immediately knew then that she was lying since the game started within 15 minutes. Isobel would've left around the time the team left if she wanted to make it to the game on time. She was never late for anything.

Isobel pulled her 2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited out of its parking space and started driving. Maggie pulled out of her parking space and followed behind her. She made sure she was far enough back so Isobel couldn't spot her. However, she knew there was a chance that Isobel may notice.

Maggie's intuition was right about Isobel not going to the Knicks game. She noticed Isobel park on a one way street, so Maggie parked around the corner. She got out and waited to see Isobel. Once she saw her, she started walking towards her. She followed behind her and saw her turn to walk into the bar. Maggie walked around for about five minutes before making her way back to the bar Isobel was in. She walked in and saw her sitting at the bar by herself. There were only a few other people in the building including the bartender, so it was easy to spot her. "I was wondering when you'd walk in." Maggie heard Isobel say as she walked closer.

"How did you know it was me?" Maggie asked, sitting in the seat next to her.

"You really didn't think I wouldn't notice you following me? I knew it was only a matter of time before you walked in." Isobel said.

"It came across my mind." Maggie said.

"How'd you know I was lying?" Isobel asked.

"You don't strike me as being into sports. I guess my intuition just knew you were lying." Maggie said.

"You're the only one who's figured it out. Can't say I'm shocked, though. You've always been good at reading me and knowing when I'm lying." Isobel said and ordered another shot of tequila, this being her sixth shot.

"Why did you lie? Why are you even here?" Maggie asked. She was concerned about her boss. Isobel just chuckled a little bit and ordered another shot. "I don't find this funny, Izzy. Please, you can talk to me." Maggie said. She placed her hand on Isobel's to let her know she's there for her. Isobel hesitated before tipping her head back to drink the shot that had been refilled.

"Can I get another one?" Isobel asked the bartender.

"You know what? No, you're done." Maggie said, getting her wallet out.

"Maggie-"

"We are going back to my apartment, and you're going to talk to me. I don't care how much you protest, I'm making this decision for you. How much is her tab?" Maggie asked the bartender.