What Really Happened

Five Years Ago:

Candy and Rosie walk up the path that heads for the small village of the Odawa Tribe. Two Guards who are placed at the gates suddenly notice the two of them, and point their spears at the two. The two guards are only wearing pants, and sandals. They’re dressed like your usual native tribe, and clearly aren’t wizards. They point their spears at Candy and Rosie, “Who are you?! What do you want?!” One of them asks, defensive. Candy holds her hands up in surrender, “My name is Candy Bane. We’re here for the job request.” The guards share an uncertain look, and Candy clarifies, “You asked for the Beast that was Promised. That’s me.” One of the guards glares at her, “Show us your guild emblems then! Both of you!” Rosie removed her backpack, and showed him her white Fairy Tail emblem on her back, and Candy raised her leggings, showing the Blue Fairy Tail Guild Emblem on her calf. The two guards gasp excitedly, “You really are here to help us….” “Very well then, follow us. We’ll take you to the chief.” Candy and Rosie nod at them, following the two guards into the village. It’s a small, not very cheerful village. Usually, small villages like these have children running around everywhere, but this one doesn’t. All you can see is adults, and all of the adults look incredibly sad and hopeless. A few of them light up upon seeing Candy, but most of them keep their grim expressions on. Candy and Rosie share a concerned expression. The two guards lead them to a hut that's larger than the others, and move the curtain that serves as the door aside so Candy and Rosie can walk in. The two walk into the hut, and there’s a large, muscular man there, who looks to be in his 30’s, and a woman, presumably his wife, who’s around the same age as him. They both turn to Candy and Rosie, the man giving them a suspicious look, and looking at the guards who brought them in. The guard speaks to the chief in another language, one that Candy and Rosie don’t understand, “They’re the wizards from the Fairy Tail guild, Chief Ogima. She’s the Beast that was Promised.” Chief Ogima, and his wife both look at each other, hopeful looks suddenly on their faces. The chief’s wife walks up to Candy, speaking in a thick accent, like the guards. “Is it true? Are you really our savior?” Candy smiles up at her, “I’ll do my best to help you with whatever is troubling you. But I don’t really know much of what’s going on here, the job request didn’t say.” Chief Ogima nods, “I’m sorry, I’m not very good at writing in english.” He dismisses the guards, and they leave, returning to their previous post. “Our children have been targeted by something…..or someone….we do not know. Some kind of dark man……who only strikes in the night.” Candy nods, “What has he been doing to the children exactly?” Chief Ogima looks at his wife, sharing a concerned look with her. She smiles sadly at Candy, “Come with us. We’ll show you.” Candy picks Rosie up, carrying her as she follows the Chief’s wife, Tauriel, to another hut, more isolated than the others, Chief Ogima following closely behind. They walk into the hut, and Candy and Rosie gasp at what they’re seeing. Kids from the ages of 4 all the way to 14 are all over the place. Some are crying, and some are hugging their mothers silently. They all have injuries of some sort. Some have damaged ribs that have been broken so much that their lungs are not functioning properly, some have damaged hearing to the point of not hearing anything at all. Some have burns all over their bodies, and they’re the ones that are crying. Candy puts Rosie down, reaching her hand up to cover her mouth. Never, in all her 15 years of living, has she ever seen something as heartbreaking as this. A young 14 year old boy starts speaking when he sees Tauriel, “Mamma. Mamma.” Tauriel walks over to him, hugging him. Candy walks over to the boy, and Tauriel smiles sadly at her, “He’s our son. 14 years old…….the dark man caused an explosion to go off……his hearing is permanently damaged. He can’t hear us….” Candy nods, giving Tauriel a sad expression. She had learned a little bit of sign language from Freed when they worked with a deaf client. She waves at the boy, and he gives her a curious look. He’s just a year younger than her, but he seems so innocent and little. Candy looks up to Tauriel, “Does he know sign language?” Tauriel nods, and Candy smiles up at him. She starts signing to the boy, ‘It’s nice to meet you. What’s your name?’ The boy smiles brightly at her and signs back, ‘My name is Charlie. You’re really pretty!’ Candy chuckles at his words, smiling brightly at him. Charlie then signs something else, ‘Are you here to help us?’ Candy nods happily, ‘Yes, I am. I can help you with your hearing, Charlie.’ Charlie gives her a confused look, and Candy looks up at Tauriel, “Can I attempt to heal him? It may not do much, but it might help.” Tauriel nodded eagerly, “Yes, please! By all means!” Candy smiles gratefully at her, and comes to sit next to Charlie on the bed he’s on. She signs to him, ‘I’m going to use my magic on you, don’t be afraid.’ He nods, and she places her hands on his ears. She closes her eyes, and starts to use her healing magic, focusing all her power on the boy in front of her. Everyone in the hut watches in shock, and in awe. They’ve never seen magic in use before, and it’s beautiful. Candy’s hands stop glowing, and she smiles down at Charlie. “Can you hear me, Charlie?” The boy widens his eyes, gasping. He definitely heard her, and he touches his ears, noticing the pain in his ears is gone. He looks up at his mother, surprised, “Mom! Dad!” Tauriel and Ogima look at each other with shock in their eyes, and Tauriel runs up to her son, “Oh! Thank You Great Mother! Thank you Great Mother!” She shouted excitedly as she hugged her son who could now hear her voice. Candy smiled as she stood up, happy that she could help them. Chief Ogima looked at her with complete bewilderment in his eyes, “How did you do that?!” She smiles up at him, “The Elemental Dragon Slayer can do many things. Including using healing magic. I could…hopefully….heal all the children in here. It would take some time, and I have my limits. But I don’t plan on leaving until this Dark Man has been caught.” Chief Ogima smiles down at her, tears in his eyes. “Thank you. The Great Mother has sent you as our savior, and we couldn’t be more grateful for your help.” Candy nodded at him, gently placing her hands on his arm, and nodding her head in the direction of Charlie and Tauriel, “Remind your son what your voice sounds like. I’m sure he’s missed it.” Ogima nods, and walks over to Charlie and his wife, hugging his son happily. Candy laughs at the sweet encounter and Rosie smiles at Candy, standing at eye level on a shelf nearby. “Candy, I think this place might be what we were missing.” Candy turns to her, smiling…for the first time in two years….it’s a genuine smile. “You think?” Rosie nods at her, happy that Candy is finally happy, “Yeah, I agree. I think we’re going to love it here.” Rosie laughs at her words, and Candy spends the rest of the day healing the rest of the children in the hut, helping them regain their health.