before the moon

✧˖°.☪︎.𖥔 ݁ ˖☁︎

WELCOME TO HAWKINS!  Reagan read the sign as they passed by it. This was the seventeenth time she has had to move in the past five years.  Reagan Watson was a sixteen year old bouncing house to house in foster care. Hawkins, Indiana was her last move before she would be sent to a group home. She never liked staying in one place for too long. She hated feeling like a burden and a chore to others.

Reagan's parents died in a house fire when she was six years old. Reagan barely made it out alive herself. She had lost everything and it didn't help that her parents were teen parents whose family didn't accept their love for each other. She had no one and nowhere to go. So, like any other child she was placed in foster care. 

Reagan was like an owl. During the day, she would sit and read books but during the night she would look at moon and wish upon every star she saw. Most would say she had a big imagination. She did. Reagan used her imagination to escape her everyday life. 

Most would think she was bullied in her younger years, but she wasn't. She chose not to get close to people because she knew they would leave or she would leave. There wasn't a point. 

Once she found out she was moving to a ghost town she had a small feeling that this could be her home. She hoped it was. Reagan was tired of moving place to place she wanted that american dream family. 

Reagan jolted awake when the car came to a stop. "Home sweet home" Maria smiled at the girl in the back seat looking out the window. Maria was her foster care agent since she was six. Maria witnessed the good and the bad times the young girl faced mentally. She always thought that the young girl was too young to be keeping all of her thoughts inside. 

Reagan unbuckled her seat belt and pulled the headphones off of her head. "Thank you" Maria placed a rolling suitcase next to her feet as she looked at the house. It was in a semi nice area. Not too shabby. Better than the places she's lived before. She saw a yellow goldish car parked in the open garage. In front of the car were three ceiling to floor windows next to a screen door. It was very clean on the outside, looked very well kept. 

She wrapped her fingers around her suitcase handle before Maria could whisk her off to her new "home". It took only two knocks for a five seven blonde woman to answer the door. The women swooped and took the slightly taller girl into a full hug. "You're so gorgeous! Oh my gosh! Dusty! She's here!" Reagan looked over at Maria. 

A chubby brown haired boy walks up to the door smiling at the teen. "I'm Dustin Henderson"