23. Acquired

"Just try to relax, and—"

"I am trying!"

Klarion jumped at Raven's sudden outburst, a chill running down his spine at the sight of her glowing red eyes.

The stone pillars around them shattered like glass, and Klarion blocked himself from the impact. Raven let out an annoyed huff when she realized he was safe.

Klarion had taken her out to his dark and gloomy courtyard for magic practice, and so far, the only thing she'd learned was that without emotional control, defeating him was nearly impossible.

"You don't learn, do you?" Klarion scoffed, an irritated expression on his face as he used his magic to seize her. "I am superior, whether you think so or not."

Raven narrowed her eyes at him, a grin pulling at the corner of her lips. "I scared you for a moment, I could feel it."

"Perhaps I do regret trying to help you," Klarion admitted, and as Raven concentrated on her next move, she could suddenly sense the presence of two more souls nearby.

"There are so many things that I could do to you, you should be grateful," Her chin was suddenly lifted, and his dark eyes traced over her features. Raven could detect wickedness brewing within his mind. His face inched closer, and she could feel his breath against her neck as he spoke. "I'll win your heart, even if I have to tear it out."

"You can't just keep me here forever," Raven said, her grin fading. She tried to pull away, but his magic force was too much for her to break free from. "And how do you expect me to love someone who keeps me here against my will?"

"All it takes is one spell to strip you of your free will."

"Then why haven't you used it yet?" Raven decided to ask, swallowing nervously. The more she focused, she could detect whether or not he was being honest. And from what she could sense, he was telling the truth.

Klarion chuckled at her question. "I find pleasure in the entertainment."

Before he could make any more advances on her, a familiar voice interrupted him.

"Get away from her."

Raven felt instant relief wash over her at the sound of Damian's voice. She looked over to see him and Jason standing there, ready for a fight.

Klarion scowled before he released Raven from his grasp, and instead cast a spell to place her in a magical cage.

"Stay here while I deal with these sea swabs," Klarion said, unenthusiastically. He turned his attention toward the two other men. "What do you want? I'm a little busy at the moment."

"Shut up and hand her over, witch boy," Damian demanded, his eye unmoving. "I'm not here to play your foolish games."

Klarion let out a humored laugh at his demand. "For you to come all this way, I assume she's important to you."

"So you are smarter than you look."

A grin pulled at Klarion's lips when he noticed the irritated expression on the other man's face. "How could such a woman like a scourge like you?"

"I don't know, why don't you ask yourself that question?" Damian muttered.

Raven listened to the two, surprised by Damian's retorts.