2. Deal

"Ouch!"

Damian looked at Maya with an unamused expression. "If you can take the bullet, you can take the stitch," he said as he continued to close up her now clean wound.

"Still hurts," Maya said before letting out a sigh. While he was stitching her up, she let her attention fall on the sleeping girl lying in the bed across from her. "She's still out?"

"It hasn't been that long," Suren responded as he looked down at the girl. "I'm surprised she's alive. She weighs nothing, so I'm assuming she hasn't eaten in days."

"Or bathed," Maya noted as her eyes traced over the dirt that layered her skin and dress. Her long black hair was also tangled.

Damian scoffed. "Tt. So that's why it stinks in here," he commented.

Maya rolled her eyes at the comment. "We were like that too when we decided to run away," she said.

Raven slowly stirred as she began to regain consciousness. The commotion was waking her up.

"She's awake," Suren informed as he met her half-lidded gaze.

Raven rose up in a panic as soon as she realized her wrists and ankles were bound together once again. "What-"

"Don't try anything stupid," Damian warned as he finished up Maya's stitches and cleansed the area. Raven took this opportunity to thoroughly take in the three pirates' appearances.

The one she assumed was captain of the ship, Damian, wore a dark green jacket that was lined with gold over his white shirt. His pants were dark and he wore boots, just like the other two. Around his forehead was a black bandana, and unlike most captains, he didn't wear a hat. He had a dark complexion, but to her surprise, his eyes were a dark shade of blue.

The other boy, Suren, wore mainly black and red colored clothes. He had dark skin as well as Damian, but his hair was much longer, as the shaggy black strands roughly stuck out of the bottom of his red bandana.

The girl, Maya, also had dark skin. This is when Raven decided that the three came from the same country. Her eyes were a dark shade of brown like Suren's, and her long sleek black hair flowed freely from her pink bandana. Her clothes were mostly white and loose fitting.

Maya hopped off from the bed as soon as he finished and made her way towards the other girl. "We won't hurt you," she assured her. "They only tied you up because they're afraid of what you could do."

"Hey-" Suren and Damian both objected, but was cut off as Maya continued.

"You're not going to hurt us, are you?" Maya questioned as she met the girl's gaze.

Raven averted her gaze, a shameful expression on her face. "You saved me, why would I?"

A comforting smile made its way to Maya's lips as she began to untie the rope around Raven's wrists.

"You are too trusting," Damian complained as he watched Maya release Raven from her restraints.

Raven immediately rubbed her sore violet wrists once they were free. "Thank you," she spoke and turned to let her legs dangle over the edge of the bed.

Maya studied her thin frame before speaking again. "Are you hungry?" she decided to ask.

Raven meekly nodded. The sudden attention was beginning to embarrass her.

Maya helped her stand up. "I'll show you to the kitchen," she offered.

Damian and Suren watched quietly as the two girls left the med bay and went to go tour the ship.

"Does she listen to a word I say?" Damian spoke and pinched the bridge of his nose.

Suren innocently shrugged his shoulders at Damian's comment.

After showing Raven around the ship and letting her wash herself up, Maya had cooked dinner for the crew.

"Don't mind the boys," Maya spoke as her and Raven were setting the dining tables. "They act all tough, but deep down, they're sweethearts."

"I just don't want to overstay my welcome," Raven said as she tucked a strand of her long hair behind her ear. "I really am grateful for this. I didn't have anywhere else to go."

"You're a runaway?" Maya decided to ask.

"Sort of," Raven answered. "My mother abandoned me, so I've basically been living on the streets for a couple months."

"That's terrible," Maya replied and rested a hand on the girls shoulder. "You're welcome here anytime. There's no judgement here."

"Thank you," Raven said and cracked a smile.

The door creaked loudly as it opened for the two boys to walk in.

"Smells good," Suren said after catching the scent of freshly cooked meat.

"Duh, I made it," Maya retorted as she sat down in a chair and began eating her own meal.

Raven hesitantly sat down in the only open chair after Damian and Suren had taken their seats. Once she sat down, she immediately began eating.

Damian eyed her as she quickly devoured her food. The girl really was starving.

Once they all finished their meal, Damian decided to confront the new member. "What is your goal here?"

Raven took a minute to respond as she processed his question. "I... have a request," she admitted.

Damian raised an eyebrow. "Which is?"

After a long pause, Raven responded. "I would like you to take me to an island, and in return I will split the rewards with you."

Damian thought about her offer for a moment. "Where and what is the reward?" he decided to ask.

Raven met his piercing gaze uneasily. "It's an island called Azarath. There are many rare jewels there that hold value higher than any seen before. You can have as many as you desire."

"I've never heard of it," Suren said once he heard the name.

"Me neither," Maya added.

"That's because it's not on any man-made map. Only few know of its existence. But, I know how to find it," Raven explained to the two. "Do we have a deal?"

The two pirates glanced at Damian, who seemed to be in deep thought. The room was filled with silence as the faint sound of the ship creaking could be heard underneath them. After a few moments, Damian decided to speak.

"Only on one circumstance," he said as he crossed his arms over his chest. "You're going to have to be one of us in order to stay on my ship, no special treatment. Any funny business, and you won't live long enough to see your precious island. Deal?"

Raven's eyes lit up at his words before she answered. "Yes."

When she reached her hand out, Damian hesitated to shake it. Something about her seemed untruthful, but he decided that he would have to find out for himself what the truth was.

He took a deep breath before reaching his own hand out and firmly shook her smaller one. When he released it, she flashed him a skeptical smile.

"It's a deal."