Chapter 2

3rd pov:

The New York shoreline and the Statue of Liberty unfolded before Newt's eyes as he took in the familiar sights of the city. Glancing over, he noticed Genevieve engaged in conversation with a man, her charisma and charm as potent as ever. Despite her maturity, she retained the enchanting allure that had captivated him since Hogwarts. Witnessing her flirtation stirred a subtle discomfort within Newt, a feeling he attributed to his perpetual awkwardness.

Approaching him, Genevieve retrieved her bag and whispered conspiratorially, "Got him trapped! Fair and square! And guess what?"

"What?" Newt responded, falling into the rhythm of their banter.

"He's a Muggle! What a nice experiment, right?"

"Just don't go too far, Evie."

"Pshhh! When have I ever gone too far?"

"In Egypt with the two girls who were almost transformed into crocodiles, oh, and in Siam, the man you turned into a frog for a month, and-"

"Okay! Okay! I get your point, Newton. No need to list so many of them," Genevieve dismissed his enumeration with a wave of her hand, flicking her hat and grabbing her bag. Meanwhile, Newt sighed, watching her casually push the man into her bag and resume her stride.

As Genevieve proceeded ahead in her black fedora, adorned in a striking black suit that accentuated her silver hair, Newt took a moment to interact with his suitcase. Whispering to Dougal, he smiled at the sound of claws scratching inside, signaling a response.

"You settle down now, please," Newt whispered, receiving more clawing in acknowledgment. "It won't be long." Smiling contentedly, he folded his arms over the suitcase, resting his head upon them, and gazed out towards the shore, where Genevieve continued her confident stride.

☼☽⋆。°✧ ✧⋆°。☾☼

Finally, the ship came to a stop, and Newt and Genevieve joined the bustling crowd as they made their way towards the Customs Official. "Next," the official called, and the duo handed over their passports for examination. The official scrutinized the documents, then looked up at them. Genevieve noticed that, out of the corner of her eye, Newt was avoiding direct eye contact, a typical behavior for him, not out of rudeness but rather his inherent social reserve.

"British, huh?" The official asked them.

"Yes." Newt mumbled as Genevieve nod.

"First trip to New York?" asked the Official.

"Yes, sir." Genevieve replied.

"Anything edible in there?" He asked gesturing towards mine and Newt's case.

"No." They replied as Newt moves his hand towards his breast pocket.

"Livestock?" The man asked.

Newt glanced down, hastily closing his case. "Must get that fix---ahh, no," he replied, placing the case on the desk. Genevieve observed him flick the dial, switching it to Muggle Worthy. The official spun the case towards him, scrutinizing it.

"And you?" the official asked Genevieve. Once again, the catch on her purse opened. Unlike Newt, she didn't have a Muggle Worthy dial, not that she ever needed it. She was adept at smooth-talking her way out of situations like these. After all, handling Muggles could be quite straightforward.

"Well, darling, who in the world would want to keep livestock in a lady's purse?"

"Mam, it's protocol," the officer replied. Undeterred, Genevieve placed her bag on the table, leaned forward with a mischievous smirk, and said, "Now, if you really want to go through all the ladies' stuff, then be my guest, Love."