Chapter 5

3rd pov:

"Careful there, Mr. Kowalski," Genevieve warned as they walked behind Newt, who let out another roar, and found themselves in a sandy, moonlit territory.

"Ah--here they come," said Newt.

"Here who comes?" Kowalski asked him.

"The Graphorns," Genevieve answered as a large Graphorn comes charging at them.

Kowalski screamed and tried to back off, but Newt and Genevieve grabbed hold of each of his arms, stopping him. "You're all right. You're all right," Newt muttered to him as the Graphorn got closer to them. "Why Hello! Looking well, love," Genevieve said to the creature as it set its slimy tentacles on their shoulders.

"So they're the last breeding pair in existence. If Genevieve and I hadn't managed to rescue them, that could have been the end of Graphorns--forever," Newt said as a younger Graphorn trotted straight to Kowalski and began to lick his hand, circling him curiously.

Genevieve watched as Kowalski reached out, gently, to the young Graphorn and stroked its head. "All right," Newt said as he reached into the bucket and pulled out a hunk of meat and threw it, which was hastily chased by the young Graphorn.

"So what, you two rescue these creatures?" Kowalski asked them.

"Yes, that's right. Well not me, it's Newt who does it," Genevieve said, facing him with a smile.

"Rescue, nurture, and protect them, and We're gently trying to educate our fellow wizards about them," Newt finished as they started walking toward a small ramp of stairs.

"Come on," Newt said to Kowalski, and the three of them headed to the bamboo woods, ducking and diving through the trees.

"Titus? Finn? Poppy, Marlow, Tom?" Newt called out, and the little Bowtruckles emerged as Newt produced Pickett from his pocket, holding him perched on his hand. "He had a cold. He needed somebody warmth," Newt said, answering Kowalski's confused face. "Aw," Kowalski said as they moved toward a small tree bathed in sunlight.

As they approached, the Bowtruckles chattered and rushed out of the leaves. Newt extended his arm toward the tree, trying to persuade Pickett to rejoin the others. "Right, on you hop," Newt said, but Pickett refused to leave Newt's arm.

"See, he has some attachment issues," Genevieve said to Kowalski as Newt kept talking to Pickett.

"Now, come on, Pickett. Pickett. No, they're not going to bully you....Now, come on. Pickett!" But the little guy clung by his spindly hands to one of Newt's fingers, desperate not to return to the tree. Newt let out a heavy sigh and said, "All right. But that is exactly why they accuse me of favoritism..." He put Pickett onto his shoulder and turned and walked away. "I wonder where that little troublemaker's gone," Genevieve said, devastated, as they approached a large, round, empty nest.

Before Newt could answer, they heard chirping, and he ran over to the nest of the baby Occamys. "All right, I'm coming....I'm coming." He muttered as he approached the nest and scooped up one of them. "Mum and Dad are here." He whispered as Genevieve walked up behind him.

Genevieve looked at him with a small smile, observing his face that held so much warmth when he was with his animals. The warmth she always imagined, how it would be like in every morning waking up next to the body warmth, wondering if it would be weird to want to get lost in counting his little freckles or sitting in a garden with the sweet smell of chocolate cake.

"Ah--hello, you--let me take a look at you," Newt said as he examined the baby Occamy. "I know these guys," exclaimed Kowalski.

"New Occamy," Genevieve said, and Newt looked over at Kowalski, smiling. "Your Occamy," Newt said. He looked up at him in surprise.