Chapter 14 Ares (Part 1)

Ares dropped Listette's arms only when they were inside the cabin with the door shut

Ares dropped Listette's arms only when they were inside the cabin with the door shut. The night before he'd prepared it with the necessities for life, places to sleep, a dresser for clothes, a wardrobe for anything bigger. Inside of that, he'd already packed every outfit he'd ever had made for her. Electricity ran so that she could keep food in a fridge as well as have light during the nighttime. Ares had well stocked food, wood for the fireplace, and blankets and pillows to keep her warm and comfortable. A rocking chair by the window allowed a view out into a meadow that was only grass, but Ares would make sure to fill it with flowers first chance he got.

Listette sank to the floor as he let her go, her face near resting on it as the last of her tears dripped weakly. There were not many left after she'd screamed and cried on him for the last few hours of this trip. Then she'd refused to look at him. Each time he'd opened his mouth to talk, she'd walked away on the train. The slow mode of transportation had been necessary with how he'd warded the vast area against magic. No vampires would come here and harm her, though these woods were buried within society's borders so the risk wasn't great.

It had been more for Ares peace of mind as well as Listette's.

"So this is it?" Listette asked to the floor, her shoulders shaking as she refused to face him. The frills of her servant dress splayed around her, but they opened up in the front for her skin hugging pants. Neither made her look less frail as she broke down in front of him.

"This is the best I could manage," Ares said quietly. "The hustle and bustle of human society would crowd and upset you, and you would never live a day without fear in the battlegrounds. I know these woods are isolated and have not been properly managed as far as the terrain and foliage, but it will get better."

"Nothing will get better, Ares. Just go." More tears pushed from her eyes as she sobbed on the floor, and he didn't know quite what he could do to fix this. Ares hadn't known such since the moment Vincent had broken her to spite him.

"You want me to leave?" Ares asked, knowing she was powerless to make him, but he would if she requested it.

"Was that not what you planned? To dump me out here like some forgotten flame and move on? I know you no longer have any interest in me. I'm not pretty or fun anymore. So go back to that bastard's son and find someone more suited to your tastes."

Ares blanked. His mind just emptied of all thought and comprehension as his body slacked to near falling on the ground. All of these years, he'd kept his distance from Listette because he didn't want her to suffer anymore. Any time she crossed his path, she looked like she wanted to spit in his face, so there hadn't been much opening to close the distance. But for her to think he didn't want her took his heart out of his chest and rent it with claws of ice.

"Listette," Ares choked her name out past a throat too thick to do much else. "You are my mate." Those words didn't carry the weight he wished they did. She could not understand that nothing short of death could crush his love for every part of her. To believe he no longer touched her body because he thought she was unappealing meant he'd failed as her mate.