Chapter 4 - Asmodeus

Asmodeus moved some of the hair out of Alec's face as he fell asleep on his mage attire, but his moment alone with him was brief. Vardon emerged from the forest with his straight ponytail of sky blue hair swinging behind him, and his impatient expression said that he'd been waiting for them to finish. As the first general to the Fleurs, Vardon had been with their house near as long as Lorenzo, one of the first men changed to lead them back in the family's youngest years.

Just like Lorenzo, Vardon was a cautious and careful man, stern of face and emotion and loyal to the core. The Fleurs regarded their first general as somewhat of a gentle giant, with Vardon's towering height and skinnier frame, but he was as competent as any of them in combat. What he excelled in though was information gathering, which was what Asmodeus had sent him to do while he eased Alec's pain.

"What did you find?" Asmodeus asked as he slipped his pants back on first. Having a conversation in the nude with Vardon was not on his bucket list this life.

"There is no cure for humans, less vampires, and changing a human once the poison has fully taken them over will result in them permanently crippled as a vampire. From Alec's accounting, he has been infected for less than half a day, and he is not yet in the end stages where debilitating pain leads to paranoia and violent outbursts. If you want to change him to our kind, you should do it now. You must drain out every drop of the corrupted blood as you can before feeding him yours. The power within your blood should do away with any lingering poison. Every second counts, Asmodeus"

"Are you chiding me for wasting time sleeping with him?" Asmodeus asked as he didn't bother with his shirt. This was about to get bloody and there was no reason to destroy the garment.

"No, Master. It was better that you gave him one last moment of connection with you in his mortal body. It will ease his transition and make his acceptance of your power easier. But you mustn't delay from here on. If you desire Alpine Copse to be one of us, it must be done now or you risk the poison taking hold."

Vardon removed a blade from his belt line and handed it to Asmodeus. It was sharper than anything a man would wield without fear of slicing himself and thinned to a point where it would break in clash with another blade.

It was meant for slicing throats, and Asmodeus went to where Alec was curled on his side. For this transition to work, he couldn't ruin the clothes the man had come in. It was all they'd have to dress him in of his old life after he awoke, and so Asmodeus slipped his hands under Alec's body to move him to a patch of dirt. It roused Alec just that much as Asmodeus positioned him on his hands and leaned his chest over his back to kiss the side of the face.

"Fear not, Alec. It's just me," Asmodeus whispered into his skin as he ran the blade in a curved arc to sever both sets of arteries in his neck.

Alec struggled as warm blood poured onto the ground from his throat, and the gurgle as he tried to speak had Asmodeus' hands trembling. Fear wafted off of Alec so strong that it stifled Asmodeus's senses, and moisture dampened Asmodeus' cheek where he had it pressed to Alec's. Tears dripped from Alec's eyes, and Asmodeus wished he could have explained better what was happening. It would all be explained when he awoke, and Asmodeus stayed with him until the blood loss took his human consciousness for the last time.