Chapter 2 - Alec

Alec was out of breath as he waited for his death, his back against a broken wall and the corpse of whatever had tried to attack him last still touching his leg

Alec was out of breath as he waited for his death, his back against a broken wall and the corpse of whatever had tried to attack him last still touching his leg. Though he'd finally made it out the complex, being outdoors didn't help much. Everything felt wrong. Magic felt wonky so that he couldn't tell if it was light or dark, all voices sounded like someone was screaming in his ear or growling, and he couldn't see anything. A grayish mush filled his sight, and though it changed in intensity and darkness, it wasn't from outside influence. He was completely disabled, his staff lost somewhere in the debris, and all he had was a short knife as footsteps crackled in the dirt.

They sounded like cannons shooting off into a battlefield of already beaten men, and Alec couldn't hold in his whimper as warped magic advanced on him. Something touched the side of his face, and he whipped his knife out. Moisture hit his cheek, so he'd cut whoever it was, but pain shot down his wrist and forced him to drop the blade not a moment later. Alec struggled, fighting with the arm, but it was as ungiving as steel to an assault from a pillow.

This was a vampire.

"Please no," Alec begged, tears flooding his useless eyes as he used his second knife in his other hand. That one joined the first as the attacker grabbed his other wrist and forced him to the ground on his back. All that remained were his legs, but weight near crushed them as the vampire pinned him. "I don't want to die here, please. Please don't."

Words filled the air from his aggressor, but they sounded like a banshee screeching, and Alec trembled as the hands holding him put both his wrists in one to free up the other. This was going to be the killing blow, but he could do nothing as the magic intensified, lying against his body and forcing him into the ground as ice cold fingers touched the front of his throat. Alec's muscles strained in fear and sadness, and he wouldn't be surprised if he ruptured a blood vessel before the vampire did him in.

The fingers slid up his neck to his chin, and steel pinched his jawbone so that he couldn't move. It was going to drink him dry. Why else hold him still? The buzzing of magic intensified as it approached his face, and Alec gasped so hard for air that when it disappeared, he didn't understand what was going on. Warm, soft, wetness invaded his mouth as he realized the vampire over him was kissing him. The invasion was urgent and hungry enough to slide along Alec's tongue and pull it forward in lust. And then it was gone, as quick as it had come.

Breath panted onto Alec's lips, sounding worse than his face directly in a plane's turbine, but the slow edge of cold fingers trailed down his cheek. The vampire was trying to calm him. More tears flooded Alec's eyes as he struggled in its grips, but it let go as it realized Alec wanted to move in a nonviolent manner. Alec reached up until he found the vampire's face to slide along his smooth chin before tracing a long slender nose, and he ended with his hands sinking into layers of overlapping waves as they rolled on the man's scalp.

"Asmodeus?" Alec dared to ask. The purr of response sounded more like a motorboat, but it was enough confirmation.

Asmodeus had been his first kiss, the only person to ever kiss him actually, and he couldn't help but wrap his arms around the man's neck and pull him down to his body. Alec cried then, heavy, relief-filled, sobs, and Asmodeus cradled him against his chest and waited. After the poison had taken his senses, he'd stumbled and fought for what felt like hours, though it had likely not even been one. Alec had no concept of time anymore, and just being in the arms of someone he knew quelled the spiraling panic of his end.