Part 3

With a heavy conscience, I uttered my vows to him. Following the ceremony, or rather an undesired marriage, His Majesty cautioned me to conduct myself appropriately in the duke's household. Silently acknowledging, I refrained from uttering a word. Just before departing for the duke's residence, I made my way to my mother's grave, accompanied by His Majesty. There, I paid my respects to my departed mother and expressed regret for leaving her that day. However, my sentiments were abruptly cut short as His Majesty forcefully led me away, restrained, towards the waiting carriage.

Upon boarding the carriage, my eyes locked with Duke Nathaniel Ringard for the first time. Throughout the wedding, I paid little attention, deeming it futile. However, when he approached and seated himself beside me, taking my hand, I was filled with fear. Not even His Majesty had made physical contact with me, not even a simple touch. My hand trembled uncontrollably, prompting me to retract it. Before he could utter a word, exhaustion overwhelmed me, and I drifted into sleep.

The Duke's POV:

Her hands felt unusually cold, and I sensed a tremor in her touch. Is she afraid of me? I wondered. Despite her apparent fear, she appeared stunning and regal. As I attempted to reach for her hand once more, I noticed she had drifted into a deep slumber, yet her aura and awareness seemed fully awake. It became apparent that she had likely never experienced proper treatment, given the way she shivered – a clear indication of her apprehension toward me.

I had the inclination to remove her restraints, but His Majesty explicitly forbade me from doing so. Despite my reluctance to witness any discomfort for my lady, I attempted to release her from the restraints. In the midst of my efforts, she awakened, noticing my intentions within milliseconds. Laura Natalee proved to be an exceptionally perceptive and remarkable woman.

"What's your intention?" she inquired. I explained that I was attempting to free her from the restraints. Her expression conveyed a sense of surprise at my actions. Despite my efforts, the restraints proved to be exceptionally sturdy and exceedingly weighty. As we were already back at home, I escorted her to the dining hall.

Laura's POV:

As he led me to a destination, his words left me in disbelief. When I grasped that he was guiding me to a dinner setting, I insisted that I had no need for sustenance, declaring my ability to survive without food or water. He expressed astonishment at my statement, questioning the possibility of such a feat. In response, I simply shrugged and averted my gaze. Throughout my captivity, I abstained from consuming any food or water. In the initial two days, hunger nagged at me incessantly, but after five days, the thought of eating or drinking barely crossed my mind. Whether it was a curse or an undiscovered power, even I remained uncertain.

After a few minutes, I found myself in a spacious bedroom. The furniture exuded aesthetic charm and offered a cozy ambiance. Despite my inclination for the cold floor, this setting was a sight I hadn't encountered in years. Venturing out onto the balcony, I indulged in stargazing, captivated by the splendid view. The brightly shining moon brought memories of my mother to the forefront. In my mind, she remained a beacon of light, shining brightly even in the darkest moments.

While heading to change, Duke Ringard entered, and his demeanor suggested an anticipation of conversation with me. Or perhaps, was it something more... like using my eyes? I pondered. Having received education on the basics of being a duchess from exceptional teachers at the age of 8, I was well-versed in the proper conduct expected. Although I couldn't recall every detail, I made a point always to maintain cleanliness and beauty. Emerging in my nightgown with neatly brushed hair, I took my seat across from him and cast a glance in his direction.

Duke's POV:

As she emerged from the dressing room and took a seat across from me, I inquired whether she found the atmosphere agreeable. She responded with a nod. Attempting to engage in a casual conversation, I inadvertently embarrassed myself in the process. Despite several subsequent efforts over the next few days to bring a smile to her face, all were in vain. Considering she was the emperor's daughter, her behavior stood in stark contrast to that of her father. His Majesty was consistently expressive, while Laura displayed a demeanor entirely contrary to his.

Upon returning home one day, I found myself unexpectedly ambushed by a swarm of guards. The attack caught me off guard, and I soon realized I had been drugged. Despite my attempts to free myself from the guards, I witnessed the head of the knights, my best friend, approaching with a sword at my neck. Helplessly, I couldn't fend him off. As he began to slit my throat..................................................................................................