Part 17

Years had passed since Laura's last awakening—precisely 67 years, if counted correctly. While I remained unchanged, unaffected by the passage of time due to my magical abilities, Nathaniel had aged. Laura lay within a transparent coffin, her slumber undisturbed since that fateful day. Despite signs of her heartbeat persisting, neither of us had witnessed her stir to greet the sunlight anew. Nathaniel continued to dwell in the depths of despair, mourning her absence. Even after all these years, he refused to entertain the notion of love from another. He abstained from remarriage, remaining steadfast in his devotion to his beloved, unwilling to produce new heirs for the kingdom. Witnessing his prolonged anguish weighed heavily on my heart.

However, on this particular day, as I strolled toward the garden, an unexpected sight awaited me—one that would alter the course of everyone's lives. Nathaniel, the emperor who had dedicated his entire existence to the kingdom, had taken his own life while clutching his beloved's hand. I rushed to his side in a desperate attempt to save him, but my efforts were in vain. In his final moments, he uttered words to me—words that resonated deeply within my soul. "May the next life hold the happiness we once cherished, dear God," he implored, "Please bless me to be reborn as her soulmate once again." Tears streamed down my face at his poignant plea. Miraculously, Laura's lifeless form stirred, her grip on his hand tightening as they both drew their last breaths together.

At his funeral, I couldn't shake the feeling that he must have left something behind—a note, perhaps, or some final message. Sneaking into his room, I was met with a flood of memories: pictures of Laura, their letters, and even a separate room filled with obscure chants and scriptures. Trembling, I spotted a letter lying on the floor. Its words pierced my heart: "I love you, Laura. Every day, the weight of guilt consumes me. I can bear it no longer." Addressed to whomever would find it, it concluded with a chilling command: "May this fate repeat, but this time as a curse."

As I spoke those words aloud, the world around me began to crumble, and darkness engulfed me.